News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Grosvenor Sanitorium, Kennington, Ashford  (Read 6595 times)

Dozzy

Re: Grosvenor Sanitorium, Kennington, Ashford
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 20:42:02 »
I have been told that it is now a sports centre, does anyone know if it was also a Mother and Baby Home as my Mother thought that she was born there in 1913, i would love to find out if there are any records remaining somewhere, dont think that they are any at the National Archives.

Buzancy18

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 00:15:51 »
I have just been reading my late Mother's letters and discovered that my Father was transferred to Grosvenor Sanatorium in May 1940 from Chelsea Barracks along with 15 others. They were put in a Military section. The men suffered from the effects of Pluerisy, Rheumatics etc  and, in my Father's case, Silicosis although none had TB. He was a Sapper/Guardsman and a stone mason to trade. The Sanatorium must have been partly requisitioned by the War Office in WW2.

Buzancy18

Offline ashwood

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 18:54:35 »
 The building much modified, sports field, swimming pool and residential facilities.  Used for many years firstly by the Metropolitan police for cadet training then adult induction for the southern counties.
simon weil avenue named after a philosopher who died in the old sanatorium, and buried in bybrook cemetery.
present use unknown.

Offline ashwood

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 18:49:20 »
The building remains, extended with swimming pool and many facilities.  For many years a police training college firstly metropolitan cadets in later years adult police induction for the southern counties. 2000 onwards ?
Simon Weil Avenue named after a philosopher who died of TB in the sanatorium.

wbutcheruk2

Grosvenor Sanitorium, Kennington, Ashford
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 16:01:42 »
Something myself and my dad were wondering about last nite.

We believe Grosvenor Hall was a sanitorium for TB patients. My great grandfather died of TB in 1941, he may have been an imate.

We are wondering if the building still exists? We think it maybe near Simon Weil Ave and Canterbury junction, does anyone know?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines