News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: East Kent  (Read 15056 times)

John Casson

Re: East Kent
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 15:01:31 »
The 'C' class locomotive tenders were quite large compared to engines of a similar date and size. It appears that the tender also bears large numbers in the style of REL Maunsell and the carriages are lettered in his style also. This style began to disappear after Maunsell's retirement in 1937. I would date the picture as about 1938/9, aided by the style of jacket and the haircut of the bloke on the bike.

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 13:04:06 »
I rather think that us daters and locaters have rather been beaten by the locomotors. I say it is Bradstone Rd, and it is pre-war, just, based on poster and google streetscene analysis.  :)

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 23:24:01 »
I know that this is an old thread but after looking at the [rather nice] photo I thought I'd add my tuppence worth.. :)

In my humble opinion the loco in the photo does appear to be a 'C' class ,and the time period almost certainly pre-war.

The train is very scruffy. If it was pre-war the train would also be spotless and even at this distance you can see that it is not

There is plenty of photographic evidence to prove otherwise.
True, the 'top-link' stuff was well cleaned, but less so the secondary stuff..such as the workaday C class and non-corridor coaches as seen in the photo.

finally that is not the right tender for a C class

I think on balance it is, but there do seem to be some odd shadows that make it look a bit strange.

With regards to earlier comments, a 4-4-0 would have much larger splashers over the driving wheels, so it's a 'C'..

it has a faded Southern in sunshine lettering on it and that was a Bullied livery, 1937-1948/49.

Sorry S4,  but it is Maunsell livery with the loco number below the word 'Southern' on the tender, with the Bullied sunshine lettered livery the loco number would be on the cabside with just the word Southern on the tender.

The coaches and the 'Van C' also appear to be in the Maunsell olive green livery.

Now, as is well known, the Maunsell liveries did linger on through to the post-war period, so that era can't be ruled out completely.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 12:47:01 »
Just a thought, isn't that a Victoria Pier poster on the wall behind the buses? And hadn't that closed down by 1940?

I assume that the posters would be made of paper, but I suppose they might have been painted board or enamelled metal and hence lasted a few years.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 00:09:00 »
A slight red faced S4 here. That certainly is not a C as I first thought, you are right about the leading splasher it is the smokebox saddle. The cab is a two piece affair so as soon as I get a moment I will be looking at 4-4-0's. I am still convinced that this is just post war and yes I believe it is outside the elevated cemetary.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 17:07:51 »
An excellent photo, thanks les freathy.

A thought re the date debate - were the Tillings still running post war?

A thought re the engine debate - the front splasher, if it were a C, looks flat, square and perhaps too small, and the centre splasher looks to have a sand box on the front end. The cab looks a little small for a C or indeed the similar 01. Are we perhaps looking at a 4-4-0 which may have had a larger tender with outward flare plus coal rails. That said, I cant identify it!!

Offline chuffchuff

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 11:43:54 »
Looks more like Bradstone Road With the Jewish Cemetry on the right
and Bradstone New Rd on the left, with the houses of Mt Pleasant showing above the trees

seafordpete

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 11:57:25 »
There would have been a white painted edge to the mud guards if this was wartime. I am wondering if this is an immediate post war shot. First it is in high colour, second the vehicles are spotless (new repaint?)

I was thinking along the same lines as you, just postwar, if wartime then there would be lamp masks and white trim on the mudguards and possibly painted out windows

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 11:49:25 »
There would have been a white painted edge to the mud guards if this was wartime. I am wondering if this is an immediate post war shot. First it is in high colour, second the vehicles are spotless (new repaint?) and third the train is very scruffy. If it was pre-war the train would also be spotless and even at this distance you can see that it is not and finally that is not the right tender for a C class but it has a faded Southern in sunshine lettering on it and that was a Bullied livery, 1937-1948/49.

S4.

p.s. I love puzzles like this, however it does not detract from it being a wonderful atmospheric picture. I have just noticed another point that could make it post war; all the steps on the terrace are painted white. Could that be a remanent of the blackout?
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 11:14:06 »
No, it was common practice on earlier cycles to have the lower part of the rear guard painted white. Now you come to mention it, if it was wartime, woyldn't the buses have their mudgausrds painted white?

alastair

seafordpete

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 15:29:24 »
Is the white on the bike mudguard an indication of 1939 or later due to blackout requirements?

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 15:10:35 »
I would say C Class as well but agree with Sentinel S4 that the tender is completely wrong. Given that oil burning was the thing in the war years could it be a type of oil-carrying tender? Doesn't look like any that I've seen. If it is that makes the picture ten years later.

It is a great picture les freathy - well done.

Alastair

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
Re: East kent
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 19:55:42 »
That is a fantastic image Les Freathy. Thank you for posting it. Are you sure it is the 1930's and not just post war? I only ask because the train is not as clean as it would have been pre-war. I am trying to identify the loco as it seems to be a C class but the tender looks wrong. That aside the reproduction is great.

S4.

les freathy

East Kent
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 19:36:48 »
A super image of East Kent Leyland Tigers and a Tilling Stevens coach in Foord road Folkestone in the 1930s

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines