News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dover Gasworks  (Read 13842 times)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
Re: Dover Gasworks
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 22:32:23 »
I've read about that method of emptying coal wagons but never seen it in action delboy,and the parachute mine certainly caused a lot of death and destruction!Your mention of High Meadow has reminded me of standing up there and looking down on the Gasworks.Wasn't there a couple of wooden clad cooling towers on that side of Union Road.These may have been four sided rather than round.A number of large pipes crossed the road between the two sites with plenty of steam and stenches about.If we see our friend i'll ask him what he remembers of shunting at the Gasworks.He was a fireman/driver in the steam days.
The adjacent Primrose pub was an interesting place to visit too as i recall from a saturday night visit.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 21:14:49 »
That was a very compact site. I see the Gas Holder is the other side of Coombe Valley Rd, still there on GE. Any ideas what the motive power was before the diesel? That aside I am enjoying this gents, please don't stop.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 20:31:25 »
As far as I can remember Towerwill the wagons were"side tipped" onto a conveyor belt on the line next to Old St. Radigunds road, and you can imagine the dust. If you look at the plan there is a square building open ended where they tipped. The aerial mine (parachute) that flattened Randolph Road was evidently for the gas holders but drifted down onto the road. the photo Andypeal posted in the other thread that I mentioned shows most of the buildings, and the copy I have is taken from the other side, from high meadow side, and shows practically everything. I will sort it out to resize .delboy

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 17:48:13 »
I was wondering how the sidings were laid out delboy.From Islesy's photo they must have done their own shunting.I know we had turns running trips from the Dover Docks to the Gasworks.That was before my time and the coal wagons would have been unfitted (no automatic brakes)with a brake van at the rear.I too can remember going up there with a barrow to get coke and the big hairy gasworks men at the carnival.Photos of the actual buildings seem to be a bit thin on the ground though.I reckon the WW2 shell that wiped out a pub up here was meant for the Gasworks.

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 17:23:59 »
seafordpete, the gas board entry was always our biggest rival(Dover Eng. Wks)for 1st prize. Their social club was in Cherry Tree Ave. along with the gas board store. Aldi occupy the site now. There is a Pathe news reel that shows one of the carnivals and you may spot them in that. For anyone interested there is an air photo in the Towns and Villages -Dover 50s and 60s posts posted by Andypeal. (page 4 last time I looked. delboy

seafordpete

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 16:58:26 »
My only memory of Dover gasworks is the entry they used to put in lots of carnivals in the 1950s/60s consisting of a gang of about 20 hefty blokes about 20 stone each wearing tu tus and dancing the Sugar Plum Fairy or Swan Lake. Any one got phtos?

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 16:22:01 »
Drewry/Robert Stephenson & Hawthorne 153 hp Gardner L3 engined 0-4-0 Drewry No.2589 and RSH No.7922 of 1952. Built for the Dover Gas Works as "Harry", it later went to Purfleet Deep Wharf and eventually to HNRC at Barrow Hill. It has two works numbers because, although Drewry designed shunters, they built none, contracting out construction to established locomotive companies.

Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 12:22:36 »
Towerwill, the gasworks were one of our Saturday jobs, getting bags of coke for neighbours on an old pram 6 bob cwt, and when I drove for the DEW I used to get a tipper load of coke breeze for the shower boilers every month from there. I have a plan of the rail sidings ,from Faversham to Dover. Middleton Press,that you may find interesting. I have an air picture but I will have to resize to post it.delboy

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 22:27:05 »
Thanks Lutonman,i've just unearthed a photo i took from Dover Castle in May 1974 which shows the remains of the gasworks in the distance.One of the train cleaners had also worked at the Folkestone Gasworks.From his descriptions and an old print i've seen, the working methods in the Retort House hadn't changed much since the 19th Century.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 21:24:43 »
Although, I only went there once, I think your dates are about right. I think Dover was the last gas works to close in Kent and I recall a number of the staff moving up into the Maidstone Area office which would have been around 1974.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
Dover Gasworks
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 09:57:24 »
There doesn't seem to be a thread about Dover's Gasworks.Anyone have memories of this interesting site?My earliest memory of the place was when my mum toddled me up Union Road in the early 1950's through the middle of  the works.We were on our way to Buckland Hospital(i think for free orange juice )and a steam hauled train thundered across the bridge behind us.At the Dover Marine train cleaning sheds we had a couple of cleaners who used to work at the gasworks and they told me about working in the Retort House.The gasworks would have closed down in the late '60s or early '70s.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines