News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old Shop at Corner of Grove Road and Chamberlain Road, Luton, Chatham  (Read 5196 times)

Offline Radioham 49

• Appreciation 0
Re: Old Shop at Corner of Grove Road and Chamberlain Road, Luton, Chatham
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 20:46:00 »
This shop was bought by Mr Hayward in about 1969-1970. It was run as a shop for a while the converted into a living residence.
I may have a photo somewhere with 2 old school friends outside. Will post if I can find it.

Offline OldMuzza

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 15:06:08 »
Just to add to the history - my 1963 Kelly's shows 50 Grove Road as being a greengrocers (W A Cordingley)

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 21:42:28 »

Yes Dinsy, Nev and Gwen  moved back  from Cyprus some time ago ,,,,,,,,spent some time in Cyprus with  them  ..........don't know why it went wrong,

Offline Dinsy

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 22:16:24 »
Oh yes, I'd forgotten about Nev Andrews! Didn't he move his business across Edinburgh Road to the larger Merryweather's premises?

I heard that Nev Andrews now lives in Scotland; one of my friends moved to Ayrshire a few years ago and ran into him in New Cumnock!

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 22:00:32 »

I think your  right Disny  it was also a car spares Nev Andrews.

Offline redge

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 21:21:23 »
1974  Kelly's / 50, Grove Road, Gilbert E Hayward.
There is no 50, Chamberlain Road recorded.
redge

Offline Dinsy

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 19:33:29 »
I'm sure that Cox's the bakes used to be on the corner of Luton Road and Edinburgh Road, on the opposite corner to what was 'Merryweathers' shop.

I seem to remember that the name 'Cox's' was hand-painted in light blue paint with red shading on a white background, and the shop had a paved area at the front.

The building has now been converted into houses/flats. 

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 12:44:43 »

Was it C0X the bakers??

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
Try this link I have just come across, next road along

http://www.medway.gov.uk/apps/medwayimages/details.asp?pg=1&pga=14&searchtype=all&search=luton

On the Medway MALSC site

Offline MedKev86

• Appreciation 13
A little late I know, but just to put a picture paints a thousand words. Taken circa 2012  :)

jakit2000

Thanks a lot that really does help. It was a grocers so the cellar was built as a dry cellar which helps me enormously.
Many thanks for your help.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
My earliest directory (1937) shows it as a grocers. It remains in the hands of various grocers & shopkeepers until 1971. By 1973 it appears to be residential rather than a business.

Hope this helps.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

jakit2000

Does anyone have any history of this building ? I would love to know what shops were operated out of it, when it was converted to a house and when the extension was built at the back. Having just moved there I would love to have a bit of history. I do know that it was originally built in or around 1901 as it appears on the census for that year. But after that I have nothing as the latest deeds were issued in the 70s and I don't know where to look for the originals or if I could find the original plans it would be fantastic.. If anyone knows I would appreciate the help also where to look for any photographs of the street going back through the ages.
If I could find out the original shop which operated from these premises, it would help me greatly as to the construction of the cellar
Being new to the area I don't know where the various offices are and the last time I was in Chatham was in the Middle Eighties and fell in love with the Riverside town.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines