News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Old Shop at Corner of Grove Road and Chamberlain Road, Luton, Chatham  (Read 6339 times)

Offline Radioham 49

• Appreciation 0
Re: Old Shop at Corner of Grove Road and Chamberlain Road, Luton, Chatham
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 20:46:00 »
This shop was bought by Mr Hayward in about 1969-1970. It was run as a shop for a while the converted into a living residence.
I may have a photo somewhere with 2 old school friends outside. Will post if I can find it.

Offline OldMuzza

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 15:06:08 »
Just to add to the history - my 1963 Kelly's shows 50 Grove Road as being a greengrocers (W A Cordingley)

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 21:42:28 »

Yes Dinsy, Nev and Gwen  moved back  from Cyprus some time ago ,,,,,,,,spent some time in Cyprus with  them  ..........don't know why it went wrong,

Offline Dinsy

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 22:16:24 »
Oh yes, I'd forgotten about Nev Andrews! Didn't he move his business across Edinburgh Road to the larger Merryweather's premises?

I heard that Nev Andrews now lives in Scotland; one of my friends moved to Ayrshire a few years ago and ran into him in New Cumnock!

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 22:00:32 »

I think your  right Disny  it was also a car spares Nev Andrews.

Offline redge

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 21:21:23 »
1974  Kelly's / 50, Grove Road, Gilbert E Hayward.
There is no 50, Chamberlain Road recorded.
redge

Offline Dinsy

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 19:33:29 »
I'm sure that Cox's the bakes used to be on the corner of Luton Road and Edinburgh Road, on the opposite corner to what was 'Merryweathers' shop.

I seem to remember that the name 'Cox's' was hand-painted in light blue paint with red shading on a white background, and the shop had a paved area at the front.

The building has now been converted into houses/flats. 

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 12:44:43 »

Was it C0X the bakers??

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
Try this link I have just come across, next road along

http://www.medway.gov.uk/apps/medwayimages/details.asp?pg=1&pga=14&searchtype=all&search=luton

On the Medway MALSC site

Offline MedKev86

• Appreciation 13
A little late I know, but just to put a picture paints a thousand words. Taken circa 2012  :)

jakit2000

Thanks a lot that really does help. It was a grocers so the cellar was built as a dry cellar which helps me enormously.
Many thanks for your help.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
My earliest directory (1937) shows it as a grocers. It remains in the hands of various grocers & shopkeepers until 1971. By 1973 it appears to be residential rather than a business.

Hope this helps.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

jakit2000

Does anyone have any history of this building ? I would love to know what shops were operated out of it, when it was converted to a house and when the extension was built at the back. Having just moved there I would love to have a bit of history. I do know that it was originally built in or around 1901 as it appears on the census for that year. But after that I have nothing as the latest deeds were issued in the 70s and I don't know where to look for the originals or if I could find the original plans it would be fantastic.. If anyone knows I would appreciate the help also where to look for any photographs of the street going back through the ages.
If I could find out the original shop which operated from these premises, it would help me greatly as to the construction of the cellar
Being new to the area I don't know where the various offices are and the last time I was in Chatham was in the Middle Eighties and fell in love with the Riverside town.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines