News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rochester, Chatham and Gillingham Gas Company  (Read 10853 times)

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
Re: Rochester, Chatham and Gillingham Gas Company
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 19:08:30 »
Lutonman. :)

I was pretty certain of the those who I was able to identify from memory. I thought it was Tony Philpot in the back row although I wasn't 100% sure of his christian name.

Front Row 1st left is definitely Gordon Harris. He wore gold rimmed glasses as I recall. He played inside forward, and had a kick like a mule!!

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 17:41:51 »
Certainly back row 4th from the right looks like Tony Philpott, he moved to a job at Ramsgate office.
Front Row 1st Left could well be Gordon Harris, I never knew he could run!.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 10:21:19 »
My sincere thanks to Numanfan for providing the missing surnames names who are; Back Row (Ernie?) Rowe, (Tony?) Philpot, and (?) Daniels, (between (Tony?) Philpot and Brian Evans).

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 21:45:06 »

Rochagas Football Club 1967/8 1st Team.

Back Row L-R Players, ? Alan Addison, Geoff Cooke, ?Philpot?, ?, Brian Evans and Ray Bell (in civies)
Front Row L-R Gordon Harris, Brian Goodhew, Dave Dunne, Andy (?) Woodford? and Martin Harris. 

I've had to identify the players from memory as the team line-up I had with this press cutting has sadly been lost, hence the gaps. If someone can identify the missing names, please let me know.

Finished 6th in the Rochester and District League Premier Division.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 10:10:56 »
Lutonman :)

I don't remember the names. They must have been either before or after my time. (69/71).

Some of the names I remember off the top of my head are, Geoff Cooke, Alan Adison, Johnny Howland, Brian Evans, Ray Bell, Brian Goodhew, Martin Harris, Dave Dunn, Ron Bishop, Peter Cook and Gordon Harris.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 19:30:20 »
Did you know Wilf Busbridge or Roger Craddock? Both members of the Club and also employees of the Segas era.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 13:23:57 »
They had a Sports and Social club at the bottom of Darland Avenue, Gillingham and had two football teams in the Rochester and District League who I played for in the early 70's. They also had Cricket,Tennis, and Bowls teams.

I see that the ground is now used by Holland and Blair.

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 14:34:58 »
The gas holder framework is a beautiful thing.  :)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 12:44:23 »
A view from the River.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 22:27:08 »
I did see the reference to the files, but am not likely to be able to go view them for a while.  Fingers crossed some others can add some more info :)

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 22:17:36 »
Kyn,
If anywhere, the Medway Archives should have it, I do know that when the Rochester Gas office closed, Roger Craddock, one of the Service Managers, deposited the old records with Medway. I have seen a reference to them in searches of CityArk, I'll see what I can find on line.

I was sad to see the state of the Gillingham site, when I was in charge of it, it was kept in much better state of repair. In the right hand side of the last picture you can just see the 6 bulletts (cigars as they were called) they actually hold more gas than the two holder combined.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 22:07:47 »
Hi Lutonman, thank you for your reply.  I am glad you found it interesting.  the one bit of information I could not find was when the company became the Rochester, Chatham and Giliingham Gas Company, from the Rochester, Chatham and Gillingham Gas Light Company.  I hope someone will be able to provide that detail at some point.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 22:04:28 »
Kyn,
Thanks for posting these pictures, I spent 20 years based at Pier Road from 1975. From the top of the spiral holder (No4 - nearest the Strand Approach Road) gives, when fully inflated a great view of Lower Rainham Road. From the column guided holder (No3) had a view into the Dockyard before it closed. I was able to get onto the top of it when the Endurance came back from the Falklands but sadly I am not able to find my pictures.

The last picture you posted from the Times is of the Regional (as then) grid lines being laid across the river, at the time one of the longest river crossings ever completed. There is in existence a video of the same event. During this work a boat was in the middle of the river when some of the bouys came up from under the pipe and nearly tipped the men into the river. These pipes are regularly inspected internally by what is known as a pig which is sent through the pipe from the Hoo side.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 16:50:18 »
From The Times

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Rochester, Chatham and Gillingham Gas Company
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 16:23:55 »

The gasometers at Gillingham were used to store coal gas before the use of natural gas.  Each town would have their own gasometers initially (Chatham gasometer).  The gasometers were owned by the Rochester, Chatham and Gillingham Gas Company, which were known previously as The Rochester and Chatham Gas Light Company, formed in 1818.

A mention is made of Mr. William Ball, director of the Rochester, Chatham and Gillingham Gas Company, in The Times regarding his death and will.

In June 1935 the engineer, general manager and secretary, Mr. C. Valon Bennett, of the Rochester, Chatham and Gillingham Gas Company attended the AGM of the Institution of Gas Engineers, where he is President, to give a talk on the question of the unified control of gas undertakings by holding companies.

1938 saw the decision discussed at the sixth Ordinary Meeting of the South-Eastern Gas Corporation (who by now owned many of the local companies by this time) to remove the bulk of the supply to be removed from the Sittingbourne Company and Rochester, Chatham and Gillingham Gas Company.  The following year it was stated that the works of the Sittingbourne Company, at Murston, had been closed down and a bulk supply was given from the Gillingham Works.  A main was being laid from Sittingbourne to Sheerness with the aim of the bulk supply from Gillingham being extended to the Sheppy Company.  The main from Sittingbourne to Sheerness was successfully laid in the summer of 1939 travelling under the River Swale but the closing of the Sheerness works was postponed due to the outbreak of war.  The main was to be an emergency supply to Sheppey in case of need.

In 1941 The Times reported that Charles Ernest Metcalf, a station engineer of the Rochester, Chatham and Gillingham Gas Company, was awarded an M.B.E. for rescue work and William Edward Divers, retort house foreman of the same company was awarded a British Empire Medal.  The newspaper states:

During an air raid incendiary bombs fell on a gas-works and started numerous fires.  Mr. Metcalf, accompanied by Divers, climbed a large holder, 147ft. high.  Together they put out a fierce fire and sealed the hole.  Divers sustained burns on the hands and arms.  They then went to the crown of a second holder and stopped another leak.  While these proceedings were taking place bombs were falling in the surrounding district.

In 1955 it was reported that waste gas from the Rochester, Chatham and Gillingham Gas Company at the time was being burnt was to be harnessed to drive generators which cost 1,200 a year to be run.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines