News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sloggers Bottom?  (Read 3011 times)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
Re: Sloggers Bottom?
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 10:27:06 »
The bottom of the hill by the waterworks is officially Snodhurst Bottom, and there is even a notice to welcome people there. My wife, a lifelong resident of the area, says it was Snollege Bottom. When I mentioned the discussion in this thread to her she got round it very tactfully by saying "well, it was somebody's bottom" :)

But there is also the football pitches at the bottom of Wayfields; we have a suspicion that that area had a 'local' name, and would fit Bryn Clinch's memory of playing football.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 10:02:05 »
As children (1948/55 sort of time), we always referred to the dip in the Walderslade Road at the Water Works as Snollege or Snolledge Bottom.

Never seen this name used on any map though so perhaps as peterchall suggests it was just a local name. A drink of cold water from the Water Works was always welcome after a hard days sledging on the Conney Banks though!!

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 09:52:05 »
There was a'Snollege' or 'Snolledge' Bottom, which I think was at the bottom of the hill near Walderslade village, where the bus terminal is. I'm not sure if it was official, or just a name known to the locals.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Horstedfarmerson

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 09:05:34 »
Snodhurst Bottom?

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
Sloggers Bottom?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 08:50:19 »
Does anyone know if this place ever existed - or was it a playing field with a similar strange name? I remember going there to a football match in the mid/late 50s. I think it was on the edge of Medway, possibly not too far away from Bredhurst or Capstone Road area. Could even be around Luton - it`s a long time ago!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines