News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Mallet's Mortar Chatham  (Read 7046 times)

Offline david

• Appreciation 13
    • Victorian Forts and Artillery
Re: Mallet's Mortar Chatham
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 11:03:13 »
Thanks for that Paul. I will be very grateful if you are able to get some photos for me.
No hurry.
We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is com

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 10:22:43 »
Now I know where it is, next time I'm up that way I'll take a few  :)

(sometime this week no doubt.)
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 10:15:35 »
I am glad the mystery is solved, well done everyone :)

Offline david

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 10:03:30 »
Only two were built. The No.1 stood inside the arsenal for many years. It was the broken one used in the trials. The No.2 is outside Fort Nelson. Thanks to all, that solves the mystery as to where it was. Woolwich not chatham. My brain gets easily confused these days! It was  outside Greenhill School in 1999. Located at the junction of Repository Road, Hillreach and Artillery Place. So it must still be there and has not been moved to Chatham despite rumours. Sorry to confuse everyone.
We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is com

Offline Andrew401968

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 23:13:27 »
Right, the No. 2 Mortar is at Fort Nelson, Portsmouth, and the No. 1 Mortar is at Woolwich, see my earlier post for details. I think the No. 1 Mortar may have been moved away from Woolwich, temporarily, in the 1990's and may have undergone  restoration. So, could it have been restored by the Royal Engineers, hence the Chatham/Brompton link?

To be honest, there isn't a great deal online. As with most things these days, it tends to be a repeat of the Wikepedia entry.

Offline gatsovandel

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 21:13:51 »
This is a mystery. I agree, I live in Chatham and know most places.  But I have never seen the Mallet's Mortar or recognize the pub. Looking forward to finding out.

Offline Andrew401968

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 20:55:50 »
Regarding the Mallet Mortar, I can't seem to find anything about it still being at the Royal Engineers museum, I don't remember ever seeing it there. I was wondering if the one in the picture is in fact the one at Woolwich? There is also one at Fort Nelson. As far as I know, only two were ever made. They were never used beyond testing, because one of them cracked after test firing.

Right, I've just checked on Google Earth Street View, the photo isn't Brompton or Chatham, which is why Swanney doesn't know the pub, but Woolwich.  Its the junction of Repository Road, Hillreach and Artillery Place. The pub is still there and so is the mortar.

The puzzle is that I found one brief reference to it being located at the Royal Engineers Museum. Is this a mistake and or perhaps it's something else, another type of mortar, a replica or was more than two actually made.

Swanney

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 19:31:02 »
I have lived in Chatham all my life and don't recognise this or the Kings Arms pub in the background but I'd be very interested to know where it is.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 14:11:55 »
David I would happily go and get some photos from you - but I have no idea where that is!  Is it still there?

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 12:25:51 »
Where is it David?
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline david

• Appreciation 13
Mallet's Mortar Chatham
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 11:42:54 »
I am currently updating my small booklet on Mallet's Great Mortars and am in great need of good quality digital images of Mallet's Mortar No.1 in Chatham.
The photo that I have is now out of date:

If any kind soul is passing through Chatham with a digital camera and can take a couple photos (side,  front and rear views would be good) for me I will be very grateful.
I can't promise fame and fortune but I can promise an acknowledgement in the book and of course a free copy.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines