News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Darnet Ness - Mystery Foundations  (Read 12331 times)

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 11
Re: Darnet Ness - Mystery Foundations
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 22:11:45 »
According to research I have done re the families who lived on Nore and Bishops Marshes (which I had hoped to attach somehow to this reply to save myself writing it all out yet again) both marshes were inhabited from from 1841 census to 1901 census but I could find nothing for the 1911 mentioned anywhere (if anyone comes across that the info would be useful for me). There used to be a track or roadway from Cooperhouse Lane, over Copperhouse marsh with, I suppose, a causeway across to Nore Marsh. This I know for a fact because my mother would go out there with my Great grandfather, John Mudge, before WW2 when he took his sheep out to graze, presumably in the summer months. East Court Farm had the grazing rights on those marshes. Comparing the two maps I have (Cassinni 1805/1819 Os & OS circa 1957) with the same area on Google Earth one can see the disappearance of the Marsh land in that period - most of that possibly by 1953 Surge tide of the great Storm. There does not appear to be any causeway connecting Nore Marsh to Bishops Marsh so can only conclude that a boat was the main transport across that part unless you waited for low tide.

On Bishops Marsh in 1841 Samuel Buddle, a shepherd, lived there with his wife and in 1851. John Stevens, Shepherd & his wife both from Berkshire - that must have been a shock! In 1861 John Potter, foreman of the cement works, was there with his wife and son.

Fort Darnet appears in the 1871 census with 63 yr old Henry Robus, watchman with his wife. On the nearby Isle of B...ty (cant make that out) 5 adults and 6 children are living.

1881 Edward Booley, a coporal in the Coast Brigade R A is there at Fort Darnet with his wife and 2 small children together with 4 Gunners of the RA. There is also a PUBLIC house with John Wadhams, Liscensed Victualler and shepherd with his daughter and 4 grandchildren.

1891 has Bombadier Robert Shaw in charge of the Fort with his wife and 4 Gunners of the RA, one of whom also has his wife, child and a visitor.

In 1901 Bombadier, Royal Garrison Artillery, Thomas Pougher, his wife, another bombadier and 10 gunners of the RA. The pub appears to have closed.

It may interest you to know that from 1841 - 1871 William Fry and his descendents lived on Nore Marsh and that members of that family were still in the East Court /Twydall/Lower Rainham areas untill after WW2.

ladypirate

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 17:17:17 »
Thankyou for sharing your pics. I can remember going over there before it was flooded, I would love to see both Darnet and Hoo forts restored.

Offline Admiral D Ascoyne

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 17:37:46 »
The clear canoe would be awesome, although they're 3 x the cost of a normal canoe!

I'm still seeking the history of Darnet Ness as in where the name 'Darnet' comes from?

I was thinking the name might be relatively recent as the old O/S maps of this area show Darnet as being Bishops Saltings?
Nostalgia's not what it used to be

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 18:21:52 »
Darnett Ness is the geographical location for Fort Darnett.

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 13:58:21 »
The next time I go I intend to get right into the cassmates. First trip was just a paddle round the inner ring and it was rather scary. :)

Does anyone know why it's Darnet; was it named after someone?

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 21
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 12:38:02 »
The flooding must have created an eerie atmosphere. A good set of photos.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 15:49:01 »
Great Pics Admiral D Ascoyne  :)
 Thanks for sharing with us :)

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 14:26:23 »
and a few more

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 14:21:58 »
a few more..

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 14:18:35 »
and some more...

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 14:14:17 »
I went camping this w/end on Darnet Island so I thougt I'd add to the forums 'library pictures'...

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 13:14:35 »
This is from the English Heritage's Pastscape for the area.

"The remains of a post medieval sea wall can be seen on aerial photographs taken in 2007. This sea wall once enclosed part of Bishop Saltings and is depicted on the 1862 Ordnance Survey map. Within this enclosed area was a cement works (NMR 1541788). The 1862 map also depicts a 'Beer House' at the south west corner of the enclosed area at TQ 8086 7058. By 1896 the sea had broken through the sea defences. Surviving lengths are centred on TQ 8093 7074 and TQ 8095 7063. These defences were mapped from aerial photographs as part of the English Heritage: Hoo Peninsula Landscape Project. (1-3) "

http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1541810

So, there seems to have been some sort of "Pub", but I am guessing that the circular foundations are probably connected to the cement works. So I dug a bit more, and came up with this, again on Pastscape:

"A 19th century cement works on Bishop Saltings is depicted on the 1862 Ordnance Survey map. Rectangular remains of this can be seen on aerial photographs taken in 2007. The cement works were situated within an area defended by a sea wall. The cement works had gone by 1896, the sea wall breached and parts of the saltings lost to the sea. This site was mapped from aerial photographs as part of the English Heritage: Hoo Peninsula Landscape Project."

http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1541788

According to the Medway Pilots site, there eleven cement works along the Medway by 1865. A beer house makes sense, as a cement works must have been a thirsty place to work, and bearing in mind, beer was a lot weaker then, and safer to drink than the water.

Wessex Archaeology's North Kent Coast Rapid Coastal Zone Survey Phase II Field Assessment Year's One and Two Report contains several references to the area in addition to Darnet Fort. 

Year One of the report can be found here: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/publications/north-kent-coast-phase-ii-year-1-2004/nkcphaseiiyear1-56750.02-jan2005.pdf

Year Two of the report can be found here: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/publications/north-kent-coast-phase-ii-year-2-2005/nkcphaseiiyear2-56751.01-march2006sml.pdf

All the references for the Darnet Island/Bishops Saltings are in year one and these included Roman salt workings, and references to the cement works and beer house, but also a Roman kiln...although things in the photos above don't look like the bases of Roman kilns.

Hope this all helps Ascoyne.

Many thanks for this, its a fantastic discovery for me!!

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 13:13:00 »
I'm not sure what the mystery is. The cement works was there when the fort was built and closed when it was finished. The pub also closed down. Here's a reference to the pub http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=9410.0 but I think if you search the forum and www.old-maps.co.uk you will find other references.
I also posted a map here http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=9359.msg77628#msg77628

Thank you, this is historical gold to me!!

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 21
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 12:03:52 »
I'm not sure what the mystery is. The cement works was there when the fort was built and closed when it was finished. The pub also closed down. Here's a reference to the pub http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=9410.0 but I think if you search the forum and www.old-maps.co.uk you will find other references.
I also posted a map here http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=9359.msg77628#msg77628

Offline Andrew401968

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 19:51:17 »
This is from the English Heritage's Pastscape for the area.

"The remains of a post medieval sea wall can be seen on aerial photographs taken in 2007. This sea wall once enclosed part of Bishop Saltings and is depicted on the 1862 Ordnance Survey map. Within this enclosed area was a cement works (NMR 1541788). The 1862 map also depicts a 'Beer House' at the south west corner of the enclosed area at TQ 8086 7058. By 1896 the sea had broken through the sea defences. Surviving lengths are centred on TQ 8093 7074 and TQ 8095 7063. These defences were mapped from aerial photographs as part of the English Heritage: Hoo Peninsula Landscape Project. (1-3) "

http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1541810

So, there seems to have been some sort of "Pub", but I am guessing that the circular foundations are probably connected to the cement works. So I dug a bit more, and came up with this, again on Pastscape:

"A 19th century cement works on Bishop Saltings is depicted on the 1862 Ordnance Survey map. Rectangular remains of this can be seen on aerial photographs taken in 2007. The cement works were situated within an area defended by a sea wall. The cement works had gone by 1896, the sea wall breached and parts of the saltings lost to the sea. This site was mapped from aerial photographs as part of the English Heritage: Hoo Peninsula Landscape Project."

http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1541788

According to the Medway Pilots site, there eleven cement works along the Medway by 1865. A beer house makes sense, as a cement works must have been a thirsty place to work, and bearing in mind, beer was a lot weaker then, and safer to drink than the water.

Wessex Archaeology's North Kent Coast Rapid Coastal Zone Survey Phase II Field Assessment Year's One and Two Report contains several references to the area in addition to Darnet Fort. 

Year One of the report can be found here: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/publications/north-kent-coast-phase-ii-year-1-2004/nkcphaseiiyear1-56750.02-jan2005.pdf

Year Two of the report can be found here: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/publications/north-kent-coast-phase-ii-year-2-2005/nkcphaseiiyear2-56751.01-march2006sml.pdf

All the references for the Darnet Island/Bishops Saltings are in year one and these included Roman salt workings, and references to the cement works and beer house, but also a Roman kiln...although things in the photos above don't look like the bases of Roman kilns.

Hope this all helps Ascoyne.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines