News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Defence Boom at Minster I.O.S  (Read 18067 times)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 76
Re: Defence Boom at Minster I.O.S
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2016, 23:23:04 »
Here's the 1940 google earth screen grab for the area. It shows a definite kink in the boom where the barges end

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2016, 19:19:18 »
I was up there today and there is considerably less shingle around with the first barge a lot higher and now  mainly on mud. The concrete ruins just east of the boom - were they searchlights now on the beach?

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 76
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2015, 13:37:01 »
There's a bit of information here on how the boom worked

http://indicatorloops.com/shellness.htm
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2015, 00:23:35 »
First photo. IWM (A 2027). Photo of a 3" high-angle gun on one of the boom guard ships.

Second. IWM (A 2015). General shot showing the Thames "gate" ships with shipping lying safe behind the boom.

Third. IWM (A 2014). Photo of the floating wooden blocks used to support the boom.

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2013, 11:55:37 »
Ah thanks, that would add up - they're not mentioned anywhere else that I can find in association with it. Your thoughts makes sense to me.

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 10:58:02 »
OK I have to confess I'm confused. I checked the site link a few posts up but am scratching for any explanation of the presence of the wrecked barges and how old they might be. From all the narrative it appears that they were not part of the boom or have they come away from the poles as described and landed where they currently are? ...

I'm coming in in the middle of this so, sorry if I'm repeating anything. We used to play in that area in the 1940s, including final war years. Those barge wrecks were already there then. Our understanding was that they were beached in a line with the boom, to close the shallower water at the end.

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2013, 21:52:15 »
OK I have to confess I'm confused. I checked the site link a few posts up but am scratching for any explanation of the presence of the wrecked barges and how old they might be. From all the narrative it appears that they were not part of the boom or have they come away from the poles as described and landed where they currently are?

Do we have any identities for the vessels that remain there?

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 15:41:23 »
From what I remember of the boom, it consisted of a few barge like boats at the Minster Cliff end and then it was continued as very large solid wooden blocks, approximately 10 foot cube, which  supported the anti-submarine chain.
After the war these blocks were stored in Sheerness Dockyard, about three cubes high, opposite the Rats Bay area. With the aid of the cranes and clever workmen these wooden cubes were moved so that "hidden " passage ways were constucted. I went into these a few times and admired their work. For example one passageway contained a watchmaker who in his spare ? time would repair your watch very cheaply (using Government gear, as he was the Dockyard clock and instrument repairer). Another was a little hairdressing saloon (appointments only) etc., etc. Happy Days !!
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Minsterboy

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 16:36:53 »
Detailed information on the Sheerness, Shellness and Minster Boom defences can be found at www.indicatorloops.com/shellness.htm

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 15:05:47 »
(Here we go again !!!)   When I was a lad I regularly went fishing, trawling, with my friend Len Parsons with a Bawlie boat owned by George Ruff. There were only the three of us. We were the only fishing boat with a permit allowed outside of the Boom. We would do three trawls outside the boom reach the "J " bouy and then three return trawls to Sheerness.
This boat originally belonged to my grandfather. Dave Wildish and I had many happy trips across to Southend etc. when I was even  younger.
Re the boom. I remember a ship either side of a very small channel through which we passed and watched by the men on these ships. We would throw them fish as we passed, I always wondered why they did not catch their own.
I also remember that we were once "inspected " by a German plane, but he let us carrying on fishing.

The boat started on petrol and then was switched over to paraffin once the engine was warm.
Whenever it was time to pull the trawl in, George would say " Blast it there goes my engine again" and he would tend to his engine whilst us two very young lads would have to pull this weighty trawl in; we did not really mind, we knew what he was doing.
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 11:55:12 »
I don't really know much about boats, but would those wrecks in the pictures be the remains of the mooring lighters used for the boom?

seafordpete

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 13:23:14 »
From Olsens 1918
Monarda built 1916 at Finlochty, 46ton steam wood fishing vessel.

seafordpete

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 09:52:34 »
I heard back from my Shipping friend, he had nothing more than we have found on this forum. We have a 1919 Olsens fishing directory in the museum I'll see if any are listed there. Sparsholt is confusing as the majority of references call her a mooring lighter which would imply ynpowered yet 2 of the dead were PO stokers.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 18:45:21 »
Removal of the wreck RESOLVO has low priority on the wreck list of 1950.

MONARDA was a small wooden drifter of 108 tons gross, length 91', breadth 19.4', depth 9.7'.

Both found in the dockyard port area.

SPARSHOLT - charted as being in 1' of water at M.L.W.O.S. tides, and is less than 1/2 mile from the buildings on the promenade at sheerness.

HM TRAWLER RESOLVO, mined and beached 12th Oct 1940

HM DRIFTER MONARDA (minesweeper) sunk 8th Nov 1941

BOOM MOORING VESSEL SPARSHOLT, sunk 13th Mar 1942

Taken from a document at the Archives.  (ADM 1/26048)

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 19:07:15 »
Found This  :)       Here         http://www.naval-history.net/xDKWW2-4201-40RNShips2Home.htm

Boom Gate Vessels - BV.1 at Sheerness, BV.2 at Thames repairing, BV.5, BV.10, BV.18, all at Sheerness, CORONATIA, FIELDGATE, both at Holehaven, MOORGATE at Sheerness

Boom Defence Vessels - BUCKINGHAM, COLLENA, both at Sheerness, SARBA at Holehaven

Boom Defence Tugs - HARTY, KESTREL, both at Sheerness

Boom Defence Tenders - naval auxiliary boats COLONIA, GLITTER II, QUEEN OF SOUTH I, QUEEN OF SOUTH II, all at Sheerness, SILVEEN at Whitstable

Mooring Lighter - SPARSHOLT at Sheerness

Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines