News: ďOver the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norsemanís ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.Ē

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Thanington Parish - 1847  (Read 2267 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

busyglen

  • Guest
Thanington Parish - 1847
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 14:28:31 »

THANINGTON is a parish and small village, 1 Ĺ miles S.S.W from Canterbury, on the river Stour, but the principal part of the inhabitants of this parish are at Wincheap, part of which, as well as the ruins of St. Jacobís Hospital at the entrance of it, are within its bounds.  It contains 1,185 acres of land, and in 1841, here were 82 houses and 379 inhabitants.  Population in 1801, 239: in 1831, 316.  Rateable value £2,923.

The principal land owners are George Gipps, Esq., Matthew Bell, Esq., and Robert Sankey, Esq., the former of whom is lord of the manor.

THE CHURCH, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a small structure with nave, chancel, south aisle, and short pointed turret on the north side. During the year 1847, it was completely renovated, paved, and convenient oak sittings added, at an expense of about £300, chiefly raised by subscriptions.  In the chancel is a brass, on which is the figure of a man in armour, with an inscription to Thomas Haile, Esq., who died 1585.  On the south side of the Church is a venerable yew tree, which measures twenty feet in circumference.  The living is a perpetual curacy in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Darling.  The tithes are commuted for £608.

St. JACOBís alias ST. JAMESí HOSPITAL, was situated at the farthest end of Wincheap-street, just without the bounds of the city of Canterbury.  It was founded for leprous persons before the reign of Kin John.  For in Archbishop Hubertís time, who died in the 7th year of that reign, the prior and convent of Christ Church took this hospital into their custody and protection, and engaged themselves that they would maintain three priests and one clerk for the service of religion, and twenty five leprous women in this house, and supply them all with necessary provisions.  This hospital was dissolved in the 5th year of Edward VI, when its revenues were valued at £53.16s.11d.  There is nothing left of this ancient building but some stone walls at the west end of Wincheap.

The Court Lodge Farm is situated near the church, on the south side of the river Stour. New House Farm is situated more on the hills; and Toniford, an ancient manor and mansion, is on the north side of the river, over which is a ford, and a bridge for foot passengers. The Kingsfords were for many generations resident here, and it was afterwards long possessed by a family of its own name.  The ancient castellated mansion, was surrounded by a deep moat, which is still visible; a gateway and other ruins are also to be seen.  The South Eastern Railway passes along the north side of the Stour.

The resident farmers are Henry Bing, Toniford;  James Harvey, New House; and Richard Sladden, Court Lodge.  The residents of Wincheap are included in the Canterbury Directory.

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines