News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Minesweepers in Chatham Reach.  (Read 5156 times)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
Re: Minesweepers in Chatham Reach.
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 18:14:13 »
The other ship with a visible pennant number has been identified as being HMS Thisbe. She was launched at the shipyard of Redfern Construction Ltd at Toronto on 12th April 1943 and was broken up in December 1957.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 22:42:13 »
The ship in the foreground is HMS Magicienne, Algerine Class Fleet Minesweeper. Built in Toronto, she was laid down on 19th February 1944. Launched 24th June 1944, she was commissioned on 11th May 1945. She was broken up at Newport in 1956.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 23:14:06 »
During WWII, the Royal Navy built 402 MMS or Motor Mine Sweepers, also known as Mickey Mouse Ships. Horridly under-powered, they were too weak to tow the standard minesweeping gear, so were used for sweeping Magnetic Mines, for which they had a large 'A' frame built over their bows. Once the war was over, there was no need for them, so they were all broken up. All 402 vessels were gone by 1947.

The ships shown in the picture are probably Algerine class minesweepers, over 100 of which were built during WWII. The survivors lasted into the late 1950s when they were progressively replaced by 'Ton' class ships.

Glow-in-the-dark

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 16:18:21 »
Hi,

I recall my dad saying, there used to be 6 of these operating out of Sun Pier during the war.

They used to be on constant turn about clearing mines that were dropped in the Thames Estuary each night by German planes.

seafordpete

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 13:55:53 »
This would be about the time the MMS ( motorised mine sweeper or Mickey Mouse ships) were stood down after post war clearances, think it started winding up early 50s and stations gradually reduced or moved to RNR crews and then pulled out altogether

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
Minesweepers in Chatham Reach.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 10:29:50 »
Taken in the late 50's from a trip on the Medway Queen.Only a Kodak "Brownie" in those days.Laid up RN ships stretched all the way up the Medway and even Stangate Creek was full of Inshore Minesweepers.A few more pictures to locate but I only had a roll of 12 in those days.
Regards,Ted

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines