News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Railway Hotel/Central Commercial Hotel, Railway Street, Chatham [i]  (Read 22307 times)

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
Re: Railway Hotel/Central Commercial Hotel, Railway Street, Chatham [i]
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2017, 08:50:36 »
Yes shoot999 it would have been 1967 they changed the road to go up and around the pub as I started with Vokes in that year and drove for them for around 3 months from memory.
As I said in an earlier post it was during that time when we went to the right of the pub at the junction to go to Chatham Station that a car "T" boned me as he came straight down the Maidstone Road and turned left behind the pub.
He looked left and right but forgot about looking right in front of him....  :)
I don't know who made the pies but I loved them and old Fred and Ma West.
I can well remember standing at the counter talking to a mate Derek Humpreys (rode a Triumph Trophy) from the White Rd area when a blokes brakes failed on his small truck and he crashed into the front of the pie stall. Only a gentle bump but it moved the stall about 3 feet along and shook Ma and Fred up a bit.
AlanH.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2017, 16:19:17 »
Wandering off-topic a bit, but here is a link for Telfer Pies:

http://www.kzwp.com/lyons/telfer.htm

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2017, 11:47:14 »
The caption to the photo says late 60s; and I definitely remember going around the back of the pub on my bike from 66/67. Since my last post I`ve spoken to a few bikers on a FB site where this pic is carried and they have similar time frame memories. Up until the end of 69 the pie stall and Cabana on Watling Street were the places to meet. The Cabana closed late 69 as a rocker cafe and most think the pie stall closed shortly after that. By early 70s most of the bikers were either using Stans cafe in Rainham or the Prince of Wales in Strood.
The stall was owned by Fred and Ma West and wasn't it Telfer pies?

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2017, 11:24:08 »
Don't forget the scooters either  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2017, 11:15:30 »
Found the Pie Stall.......just :)

That brings back memories used to be crowded at night loads of motorbikes lined up and loads of us drinking tea and eating the wonderful hot pies must have given the owners a good income back in the day.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2017, 08:15:24 »
I used it a lot being a cab driver for Vokes/Wimbles and as an owner driver etc. from 1967 'til about 1971. I see from that last pic, just showing the stall on the right, they'd altered the road system to make vehicles going up to the station and Ordnance St., etc. go round the back of the pub.
AlanH.

KeithJG

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2017, 15:09:27 »
Found the Pie Stall.......just :)

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2016, 18:03:04 »
Thanks Smiffy, so we can assume the photo was taken after 1957 (logical). Can any one recall about what time the ple stall disappeared? There was a whole load of information published on it on the fourm some time ago but I can't find it. Sorry if this is off topic but it seeamd to be a fair question following the drift of the answers.

Pie Stall was definitely open throughout the sixties. As a biker I used it regularly from 66 to 69. So my guess would be closed early 70s?

KeithJG

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2016, 17:58:44 »
Can`t think where it came from but I have that picture in my collection and it says circa 1960.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2016, 11:02:04 »
Thanks Smiffy, so we can assume the photo was taken after 1957 (logical). Can any one recall about what time the pie stall disappeared? There was a whole load of information published on it on the fourm some time ago but I can't find it. Sorry if this is off topic but it seemd to be a fair question following the drift of the answers.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2016, 13:18:22 »
There are a couple of Fseries Vauxhall Victors in the photo and these didn't come out until 1957.

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2016, 10:40:44 »
Sorry Signals99 I don't have a date.   DTT

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2016, 10:04:15 »
Pr1uk, your mention of the pie stall brought back memories. I was a "past cleaner" working out of Gillingham sheds, I often did the dockyard shunter turn, this involved a run to Chatham to shunt out the Fyffe banana wagons, very often this meant we had to sit in a dead end shunt on the up side, very handy, we had a tobacconist up the slope and the ple hut on the down side, lovely memories of sitting on the foot plate of a C class loco scoffing hot meat pies on a cold November evening. By the way, any idea of the approximate year of your photo?

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2016, 07:11:33 »
Great photo Dave, thanks
Used to know a man called "Red" who worked in the garage and it reminds me of walking back from town after a few and the pie stall that was just passed the garage. Oh yes, a hot steak and kidney used to go down great on a cold night.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2016, 22:04:35 »
Not seen this one before DTT. By the look of the cars I'd say late fifties.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines