News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Railway Hotel/Central Commercial Hotel, Railway Street, Chatham [i]  (Read 22349 times)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
Re: Railway Hotel/Central Commercial Hotel, Railway Street, Chatham [i]
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 17:38:50 »
Thanks Smiffy, has helped my memory as well. It looks as if by the 80s the one-way system round the Alexandra was in place a car can just be seen coming round it. That would be where the man and woman are in your first photo, and where I suggested there was a building with a window. So where was the flower stall (or shop?) that I remember? Im sure it was there the girl that worked in it dropped me after one date, about 1946!!
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 16:07:14 »
Hi, Rochester-bred. I can't find a more suitable picture of the Alexandra, but this is from the late 80's showing the two small shops next to it that you remember, now long gone. The old Chatham Motors on the right has also disappeared.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 08:17:18 »
That's a great picture Rambo. Passing by this area I often wondered what used to be there, but could never clearly remember. Strangely though, I can remember the old railway turntable before it was removed.

This is from the 1907 OS map, but from what I can determine it was pretty much unchanged until demolition. I can't find a clear map from a later period but I think there may have been some smaller buildings added later between the Station Hotel (marked in red) and the other ones adjacent to the Alexandra.

Thank you Smiffy, I was getting so confused but showing the picture makes sense to me now (I hope) so the York pub, as I knew it in the 70s, on the corner of Ordnance Street and Ordnance Terrace, was never the Railway Hotel as this was down Railway Street past the station before you got to the two small shops I remember in the 70s (one sold sweets then). Then next to them was the Alexandria; is that right? Sorry if I sounded a little confused, at my age I get a little muddled. Great pictures and maps.
***I am still the child within***

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 18:59:08 »
I think the tall fronted building you mentioned is an optical illusion, being the chimney and sloping end roof of the Alexandra. Its visible in the earlier picture I posted.

Delticfan

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 17:01:42 »
Kelly's index lists this building 47- 49 Railway street, Chatham as "The Central Hotel" from 1919 to 1951 when it became "The Central Commercial Hotel. In 1953 it is listed as "The Station Hotel And Restaurant", and was still listed in 1959, having been owned/run by P.G.Freddi since 1947. It was not mentioned in the 1961 directory.

An interesting note is that although this establishment is listed as a hotel, in 1919 "The Alexandra" is only listed as 43 Railway Street, Bonnett Austin, Beer retailer.

This early picture shows a tall fronted building after "the Alexandra", could this be the early "Central Hotel"?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 16:28:28 »
I think the turntable must have been removed probably mid to late 60's, I can remember seeing some workmen breaking it up. The low building may have been one of those added later. The Old Maps website has got an OS from the 60's showing something there, but because they've disabled the zoom it's a bit difficult to make out.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 15:50:29 »
Any idea when the turntable was removed?

There seems to be a low building with small (bay?) window between the man and woman at the right of your 9th September photo.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 15:23:26 »
That's a great picture Rambo. Passing by this area I often wondered what used to be there, but could never clearly remember. Strangely though, I can remember the old railway turntable before it was removed.

This is from the 1907 OS map, but from what I can determine it was pretty much unchanged until demolition. I can't find a clear map from a later period but I think there may have been some smaller buildings added later between the Station Hotel (marked in red) and the other ones adjacent to the Alexandra.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 14:07:35 »
So is Rambo's photo where the bus station is now? In which case, what is the building with the dormer window behind it?
Also, was the flower stall that the wife and I remember in about 1946 have been at the right edge of Smiffy's photo? I knew the girl that worked there, but can't remember her name.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 13:36:43 »
Peter. Think the building in Rambos picture would have started where the woman on right is, then up towards station.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 13:30:51 »
It looks a different building to Smiffy's photo of 9th September - different number of windows, a wood end, etc. Also the roof of the Alexandra Hotel next door looks different. Or am I confused regarding the location?

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 13:28:11 »
Well done Rambo just see the cafe I was talking about, didn't remember it being part of the Station Hotel.  (Are there any drinking establishments in the towns you haven't got a picture of?) :) :)

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 12:02:24 »
Thanks for the pic Rambo, I don't remember any of those buildings being there at all ? but must have seen them, just not registering in my pea brain  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Rambo

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 11:32:20 »
Here is my picture of the Station Hotel approx early 1960's. Hope this helps a bit. rambo.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 17:49:21 »
I remember a cafe at the bottom of those steps where I would often have a cup of tea with a mate, where he would meet his guvnor and I'd carry on to work early 60s

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines