News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Railway Hotel/Central Commercial Hotel, Railway Street, Chatham [i]  (Read 22247 times)

Online numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
Re: Railway Hotel/Central Commercial Hotel, Railway Street, Chatham [i]
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 12:04:56 »
the hotel I am now not so sure, a trick of the memory on my part . I  think there was waste ground there, and its there I thought I saw a Railway Hotel sign.

Not a trick of the mind. :)

As Rambo has previously said, the premises were roughly where the buses run through now. In the 1937 Kelly's Directory - 47 & 49 Railway St, The Central Hotel.

Still there in the 1955, now called the Station Hotel & Restaurant

Not sure if it was ever called the Railway Hotel?

Disappeared by 1963.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 09:09:48 »
This is a crop from a 1920's view. Looks like the shops you are referring to may be the ones on the extreme right. I think the shops right next to the Alexandra survived until the 1980's ( I remember buying some 45's in one of them in the 1970's) but I can't remember anything else being there.

Great photo and yes the shops were down the steps, the hotel I am now not so sure, a trick of the memory on my part . I  think there was waste ground there, and its there I thought I saw a Railway Hotel sign.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 01:48:26 »
Smiffy, what's going on in the photo? I cannot think why there is so much bunting out in a 1920s photo?

I believe it was to do with an official visit by King George V, although I'm not sure what the occasion was.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 22:52:06 »
There was a flower stall there in the late 1940's. We (missus and I) both think it was a windowless open-fronted 'shop', closed by a shutter at night
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 22:36:45 »
Smiffy, what's going on in the photo? I cannot think why there is so much bunting out in a 1920s photo?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 15:37:44 »
 The "York Tavern and Railway Inn". I suspect the Railway Inn part was added after the station was built.

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 15:25:39 »
I do believe the Railway Hotel is now what is the Railway Tavern, what used to be O' Connells Bar, previously the Bullseye. I am sure I have read somewhere that it was called The York Hotel...

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 14:34:42 »
This is a crop from a 1920's view. Looks like the shops you are referring to may be the ones on the extreme right. I think the shops right next to the Alexandra survived until the 1980's ( I remember buying some 45's in one of them in the 1970's) but I can't remember anything else being there.

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 08:41:31 »
Hi pr1uk. The Railway Refreshment Rooms, Railway St. Would have been I think roughly where the bus stops are above the Alexandra. 1872 The owners  - London, Chatham & Dover Railway Co. Victoria Station, Pimlico. 1872 To sell by Retail, Excisable liquors to be consumed ON the premises. 1875 All Excisable liquors. Licensee in 1863 was a James Broderick. Hope this helps.
rambo.

I wonder if was thinking of early 50s, but now I wonder if it was a trick of the mind, but I was sure there was something between the station and the Alexandra. I was not thinking of The York across the road. I do remember there were shops that were down steps. One had a wall of shells set in concret they were more like market stalls. I remember one sold lots of used maps.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline Rambo

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 11:06:21 »
Hi pr1uk. The Railway Refreshment Rooms, Railway St. Would have been I think roughly where the bus stops are above the Alexandra. 1872 The owners  - London, Chatham & Dover Railway Co. Victoria Station, Pimlico. 1872 To sell by Retail, Excisable liquors to be consumed ON the premises. 1875 All Excisable liquors. Licensee in 1863 was a James Broderick. Hope this helps.
rambo.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 16:12:04 »
OOPs!!

Just spotted in the excellent index of Chatham pubs by Leofwine that the York Tavern at the bottom of Ordnance Street was at one time known as the Railway Tavern or Inn. I didn't know that.
I don`t think this pub was in the right location for pr1uk, nor was it an "Hotel", but I thought it right to put the record straight.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 15:58:27 »
As a child I am sure I can remember a Railway Hotel just below the Chatham Train Station before you got to the Alexandra Hote.

I am not an expert on Chatham pubs, but the only one I can find reference to with a Railway name was the "Railway Tavern" in the High Street which was eventually incorporated into the (in)famous Barnard's' "Palace of Varieties" Theatre C 1846/50.

Probably not the one being sought!!

I suggest your "Railway Hotel" and the "Alexandra" are one & the same. The Alex is in Railway Street.

Delticfan

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 12:52:31 »
I have checked a map dated 1907 for the area you mention but I can only find the site of the "Alexandra". Gillingham library and the councils resource centre in Strood may be able to help if you are in the area. Chatham library does not hold any physical maps but may have some on line.

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
Railway Hotel/Central Commercial Hotel, Railway Street, Chatham [i]
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 13:20:27 »
As a child I am sure I can remember a Railway Hotel just below the Chatham Train Station before you got to the Alexandra Hotel. Can anyone else remember this Hotel or am I getting mixed up with the Alexandra.
-Peter

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines