News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Prisoner Transportation  (Read 4102 times)

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 33
Re: Prisoner Transportation
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 10:11:46 »
A very large number of convict transports sailed from the Medway. As the depots of the regiments serving in Australia were based in Chatham, when a draft of replacement troops were needed by the regiment down under they sailed out as guards on the convict ships.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 18:37:03 »
My family originate from North Molton, a village in Devon. I visited it last year and in the church ledger the vicar showed me how a relative was transported for sheep rustling. He and another must have been idiots as they stole them in the snow and dragged them home, so needless to say they were caught within 5 mins of the farmer missing the sheep. :) :)

Sirenetta

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 16:54:56 »
We may be related.  My family were Higham and Frindsbury Collinses, although this George doesn't show on my modest family tree.  I fully expected to find some rogues in my ancestry!

Offline arthur

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 22:19:47 »
Yes, its true. My 3x great grandfather was on HMS Fortitude (formerly HMS Cumberland) a convict hulk in Chatham for over a year from Mid 1838. He sailed from Sheerness on the convict ship "Barrosa" arriving in Sydney, Australia December 1839. His name was George Collins who got 10 years for stealing a ewe. Although George was at Kennington near Ashford at the time, his family were later in Higham & Frindsbury within a decade. His first couple of children were born in Strood.

busyglen

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 19:07:02 »
Interesting. :)

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 122
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
Prisoner Transportation
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 08:43:01 »
I recently visited Oxford Castle, which until 1996 was in use as a prison. During the tour I spotted this.

www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines