News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Union Jack Hostel, Gillingham  (Read 4302 times)

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 22
Re: Union Jack Hostel, Gillingham
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 19:23:13 »
Thanks Gents, I think that explains it.
DTT

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 16:20:05 »
That is one of a series of Postcards showing Interiors of the UJ Club in London, published about 1925 when it had just been refurbished .
They crop up on E- Bay quite regularly .
The Yank has assumed Gillingham because of the post mark.

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 14:45:05 »
There was a Union Jack Hostel in London. There is a picture of it on the web if you google for it. It looks nothing like the picture of the original Union Jack Club as shown on their website.

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 22
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 07:49:55 »
Thanks Bryn, that would make some kind of sense.  Appreciate the detailed reply.
DTT

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 07:17:52 »
I think The Union Jack Hostel may be "The Union Jack Club" which was situated near Waterloo Station. I stayed there on two occasions. There is a wealth of information on the web. I believe that it has now been rebuilt and looks very plush and in complete contrast to the club that I remember which was basic, to say the least - bedrooms were no more than cubicles with a bed and very little else. It was cheap and a haven for servicemen without families and nowhere to spend their leave. When I stayed there we were on `gig`and within minutes of leaving the Club`s spartan facilities were performing in the plush surroundings of Marlborough House (I think) for some of the highest ranking officers in the British Army. What a contrast!

I noticed the printer`s imprint was `Gale & Polden` who were at some time in Brompton.

http://www.ujclub.co.uk/

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 22
Union Jack Hostel, Gillingham
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 22:35:07 »
There is a post card on ebay at the present from Gillingham, showing the Union Jack Hostel, the card was posted in Gillingham, to a relative in Rochester.  The Seller is in the USA.

I have never heard of the Union Jack Hostel and google throws nothing up.  Any thoughts?
DTT

Link:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GILLINGHAM-KENT-UNION-JACK-HOSTEL-1922-Postcard-Kent-/300598552753?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fd11e8b1

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines