News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: HMS Valiant (1759 - 1799)  (Read 9505 times)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
Re: HMS Valiant (1759 - 1799)
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 22:09:28 »
HMS Valiant Bow view - a painting of the original shipwrights model:

Stern view:

"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 20:21:12 »
Stewie, thanks again for your kind comments.

To be brutally honest, I'm not sure for how long I'm going to continue writing these articles. With Kyn's announcement about the Forum being closed to new members, I fear that the Forum will eventually fade and die and these articles will eventually disappear with it.

I have had a frank exchange of views over this with Kyn; an exchange which was and will remain private. Suffice to state that it's her forum and I absolutely respect that. It has been suggested to me on many occasions that I should collect these articles and have them published. Up to now, I've refused to do that because I don't think it's fair that people pay to read something that's available free on here, notwithstanding all the copyright issues that will come from publishing them in a book people will have to buy. That is a view I am seriously reconsidering at the moment. Although I'm not going to be taking my articles down, I have ensured that they can be reproduced should the Forum be taken down at some point in the (hopefully) distant future.

A lot of time and effort goes into researching and writing these, time and effort that I enjoy spending, and am happy to continue doing for the time being. That stated, I don't want to see it wasted, maybe for my own vain and selfish reasons, but regardless of why, I don't want to see it wasted.

Mods, I'm aware that this is probably way off topic and if you decide to delete this post, fair enough.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 10:40:35 »
Oops! I beg your pardon, I read it all as one article!  :)

I was hoping to speak with you at the KHF Christmas do to compliment your articles.

Stewie

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 07:02:50 »
Hi Stewie and thanks for your kind comments. I originally wrote the article over two years ago and first posted it in September 2012. I put up the picture of HMS Valiant's lines yesterday because I'm currently working on an article about her sister-ship, the Woolwich-built HMS Triumph and found them as part of my research for that.

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 20:56:39 »
Hi Bilgerat,

another terrific article from yourself, I do enjoy reading these as it is interesting to chart the history of a vessel through the years, from 'cradle to grave' so to speak!.

Sorry to be a pedant but although you are correct in mentioning the ship being the central subject of the Chatham Dockyard's 'Wooden Walls' exhibition, this has now been superseded by another version 'Hearts of Oak'. As a nice touch, there is an element of continuity as the Valiant's master carpenter 'John North' (from the 'Wooden Walls') is now retired and showing his Grandson around the dockyard.

Stewie

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 19:37:59 »
HMS Valiant's lines:

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
HMS Valiant (1759 - 1799)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 01:50:09 »

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines