Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Prism shaped stones  (Read 10146 times)

Offline linyarin

• Appreciation 45
    • Cliffe History
Re: Prism shaped stones
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 00:26:07 »
No idea what they are or were used for but, even from the first post, I recognised them from my dim and dusty past.

Now the drawing has convinced me they they are the same. I have a feeling that they were from a game of some sort as was suggested. If I remember correctly they were of various pastel colours and some were grooved along the longer sides.

Merry

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 20:25:10 »
That's exactly how I remember them. They were quite unusual but not so rare that finding one was a big deal.

We used to find little rusty ballbearings, too.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 18:26:22 »

re posted ;)
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Monkeyboy

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 18:05:57 »

Sorry about the quality, but this is kind of what they looked like, Merry. I wonder if they are the same thing?

Merry

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 20:27:24 »
I remember these! They looked like they were polished and the edges/bevels were smooth.

We used to find them in the Featherby Road area and I think they were often in the playground at the Juniors.  There was a Victorian tip on the site (discovered when an extension was built in the mid-70s) and I guess they could have come from there.

Monkeyboy

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 15:23:48 »
 I will upload a sketch tonight when I am home, I am by no means a budding artist so please excuse the quality. It was light grey in colour and the corners were worn, I will have a chat with my dad to see if he can remember them or if he has them.

They were from an area in the garden where we used to have bonfires, I was digging around like ten year old's used to!

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 08:37:34 »
I would like to see a picture also monkeyboy. In the old Victorian rubbish dumps you quite often come across strange objects but have not heard of this one. Normally found are square stone Jacks, marbles and balls of glass and stone. One other thought..could they be from a potteries, did you have one near you back then? Triangular stone blocks were used to hold clay objects off their bases whilst in the Kiln being fired. Plates and pots sometimes have three little marks on the base which are called stilt marks caused by these devices but in a smaller size....just a thought.

Offline isleansuz

• Appreciation 8
  • IsleAnsuz
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 21:17:15 »
Any chance of a picture? Even if it's hand drawn..

http://www.canterburytrust.co.uk/catpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/gall16_356b.jpg

Anything there strike a chord?

Monkeyboy

Prism shaped stones
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 20:44:33 »
I wonder if someone could shed some light on some objects I found when I was a boy, they were about 5cm in length, grey in colour and prism shaped, they looked like they were made from stone and some of the edges were worn more than others, at the time my dad said they were from an old victorian game. Unfortunately I have no idea where they are now.

Thanks and sorry for the random question

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines