News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pools at Warden, Isle of Sheppey - Help please?  (Read 11231 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: Pools at Warden, Isle of Sheppey - Help please?
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 18:16:47 »
The pond at Warden Manor is also bricklined if that helps at all?

Offline Greyuncle

• Appreciation 8
  • Do the right thing
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 05:51:39 »
If I can be of any help, please ask, as I live at Warden. I can always go and have a look at anything and take photos.

Greyuncle

Minsterboy

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 15:29:45 »
This Forum never ceases to amaze me, fancy the stone wall around Eastchurch cemetery being made from the stonework of the old Warden church.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 14:31:08 »
For details of the stone in the wall at Bridgestone House, Warden, have a good read of the thread London Bridge Stones, here on the forum...

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35.150

The London Piper

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 14:22:51 »
Thanks for the info guys.

Firstly to answer the question that's been posed of me. My interest is two-fold. Firstly, I used to visit Warden Point in the '60s and 70s as a child, and it always fascinated me. I can recall the Post Office with chairs and tables for tea and ice creams in the front garden. There was also a plaque in the wall - I can't remember for the life of me what it said! My second reason is a curiosity as to Roman activity in the area. I have been given unlimited access to the pond within the grounds of 'The Heritage', and have undertaken some searches with no sign of any Roman activity. I'd rather find that I've 'lost the plot' at this stage than after many hours of searching!
I'd be interested in seeing a copy of the Tithe Map; is there anywhere I may find this online?
The drainage trench also rings a bell, and may have collapsed in on itself to form a natural aquifer?

I'll keep you posted on anything I find!

Many thanks people!

Peter
07780 136894

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 21:19:17 »
Looking at an Ďalbeit poor, print of the Eastchurch Tithe map (schedule dated 1842) there are two ponds indicated near to Warden Court (the name may suggest a pre-reformation shift out of Warden itself). One is one the Warden Point side of the junction of Warden Road and Thorn Hill Road. Looking at Google it is hidden behind greenery but I am sure it used to be clearly visible.
The second is to the south Warden Court and what must have been Brickwall Farm itself. Itís inside the dogleg where Thorn Hill Road heads south from buildings. 
Looking at the Warden Tithe map (schedule dated 1841). There is only one pond listed which is on the Eastchurch side near the top of Thorn Hill. However there would appear to be another eight ponds, two of them quite large and near the cliff top indicated on the map. One is on the opposite side of the road between the Tea shop and the cottages on Sheppey_Bottles link. 

I will start a new thread on the discussion about the Smack Inn in the Towns and Villages section.

Minsterboy

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 13:16:02 »
The photograph also shows a time when the end of the Warden Road was picturesque enough and quiet enough to be worthy of a visit from day-trippers. Nowadays all you get is the constant passage of traffic going to the holiday camp around the corner.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 11:49:04 »
Thanks for posting that conan as it shows the ditch on the right even further back from the cliff edge than Trevs postcard image in my link. The large brick house that can be seen behind the bus is the old Post office or Bridgestone house, the house that is just this side of it is still there and is now the last building on the left of Warden Road before you hit the cliffs.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 10:52:31 »
Map of 1870 shows the two ponds you are asking about and where the water goes out on the cliff on the right hand side of the road is part of the drainage ditches of the area I think.

If you look at this old postcard image of the end of Warden road you can see what looks like the drainage ditch to the extreme right hand side of the picture. Just beyond where those people are sitting is now the cliff line!! Roughly where that first shadow falls across the road is the cliff line now. Hope that helps you.

http://www.pbase.com/luckytrev/image/96429800

The drainage ditch is very clear in this photo

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 15:49:35 »
I have seen that at number 10, Randall, but no map! I look forward to this, thankyou.

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 15:31:28 »
Somewhere I have got a print off of the Warden Tythe map. I've just looked at the K.A.S. website and find that the Warden Tithe schedule has been transcribed and is on line. The Smack Inn is listed.  I've got to go out for a meeting the rest of the afternoon I'll try and dig up the map and locate the Inn this evening.

Minsterboy

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 15:31:20 »
Guess you are right, we have highjacked The London Piper's posting somewhat and so to get back to the original subject - I'd be interested to know the reason for Mr. Piper's interest in the ponds.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 14:56:27 »
Have seen/heard that before and sounds pretty convincing doesn't it but I also read a similair article that said the Inn was beyond the Church, cannot remember what it was though. It would still be nice to see the Inn named on a map though as they almost always are. One thought is that maybe long ago there was a pub beyond the Church that went down the cliff and then Bridgestone House was used, I put my hands up and say "I really do not know for sure where the Smack was". Thanks for finding that Minsterboy.

PS, Just found this, have a read...

http://www.hereshistorykent.org.uk/displayImagedata.cfm?type=Directory&digref=kelly34Wrd-01&placename=Warden&placeID=479&categoryID=23

AND... for even more conflicting views see both Tyler and Judge books.

We are going off subject a lot here so we had better get back to the ponds!

Minsterboy

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 14:16:12 »
Mr. Bottles, have a look at www.timetravel-britain.com/articles/country/smuggling.shtml

It states in there that The Smack Ashore was once in what became the Warden Post Office.

Minsterboy

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 14:05:54 »
Mr. Bottles, you could be right in regards of The Smack PH, be interesting to know one way or the other.

In respect of the blocked track, there is definitely someone living behind and on the blocked off section, and the tall plywood boards, that block off the footpath (a section of which is still left), have signs on that state "keep out" and "guard dog".
Last year we asked the SBC Footpaths Officer to visit and have the boards removed, but after three failed attempts to gain entry he gave up and that was that, the footpath remains blocked off.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines