News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pools at Warden, Isle of Sheppey - Help please?  (Read 11217 times)

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
Re: Pools at Warden, Isle of Sheppey - Help please?
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 12:46:46 »
That is correct Minsterboy, it is or should I say was, Bridgestone House (already covered on the Forum), a Post Office and a cafe over the years..although I am not convinced it was the inn you say. I read somewhere that the 'Smack aground' was beyond the church to the right of the road. If anyone has a map that shows this Inn and the position I would love to see it...and if you have a Flagon, flask or bottle with William Hodges impressed on it I would be only too pleased to look after it for you :)  As regards the track you are talking about, quite a few years ago there was a major cliff fall here that wiped out the track and that is probably why it has been blocked. we all know how deadly these cliffs are and the Coastguard are called out on a regular basis to the unwary that get stuck. I posted a picture on here somewhere of that fall and others of Barrows Brook cliff area when it slid.

Minsterboy

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 12:30:49 »
I also believe Mr. Bottles, that the building in the extreme left of the postcard was the now long gone shop/cafe, which I also think at one time was "The Smack" PH.

On the subject of Manor Cottage, any idea who it is that has set up home on the public footpath just past the cottage and boarded up the footpath to keep people from using it.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 10:42:26 »
Map of 1870 shows the two ponds you are asking about and where the water goes out on the cliff on the right hand side of the road is part of the drainage ditches of the area I think. It is a shame that Mr Lardeaux, has passed on as he was a feast of knowledge on the area. If you are up that way again nip down Manor Road?...opposite the manor house... and speak to the chap in Warden Cottage at the end, he has lived there a long while and is really knowledgeable and a nice chap, but you may already know that. You have no doubt seen the other old ponds to the side of the road at Cartts farm, they are on the old map as well. That pond you went in has lots of Newts!

PS...It would be nice if you post on here any details you find on the area as I am sure a lot of us would be interested.

If you look at this old postcard image of the end of Warden road you can see what looks like the drainage ditch to the extreme right hand side of the picture. Just beyond where those people are sitting is now the cliff line!! Roughly where that first shadow falls across the road is the cliff line now. Hope that helps you.

http://www.pbase.com/luckytrev/image/96429800

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 19:01:50 »
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

The London Piper

Pools at Warden, Isle of Sheppey - Help please?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 14:34:09 »
Hello from a new member! I'm interested in the hamlets of Warden, Warden Point, and Elmley on the Isle of Sheppey.

My particular question is this: There are two ponds or pools within the existing Warden area. One is within the grounds of Warden Manor, the other is approximately 100 yards away within 'The Heritage'. I am trying to ascertain the age and character of these pools or ponds. Are they aquifers, or man-made? If the latter, is anybody able to help me with a rough date? I have spoken with the owner of 'The Heritage' who feels that the pond is 'probably Victorian', and it is clearly lined in stone. I've (with permission) entered the pond, and in a couple of hours come up with some zinc-plated sheeting, a few yards of copper wire, and a 2p coin (whoopee!), so, knowing human nature, this tends to support the resident's viewpoint.
To support the aquifer theory, there is an underground stream exiting the sub-soil at the end of the road/cliff edge.
Can anyone assist?
Many thanks

Peter
07780 136894

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines