Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bands of the 70's  (Read 5568 times)

Bluesbat

Re: Bands of the 70's
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 14:19:36 »
As kids I remember watching "The Cabinet" from outside the little oyster one through a gap in the curtains. As a local band, they are what gave us inspiration to form our own band. We hit the road as "sleepy hollow" playing the local club/pub circuit which included the Warden Bay Hotel. Other bands that I remember playing there were "Ram Rod" "Flyin Hi" and "Tony Peters Five0" ....good times!!
And what about Warners Holiday camp and the Seaview Hotel....anyone remember the Cellar Club, or Dave Lee & the Rebounds !!

Ian dolly

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 19:18:43 »
As kids I remember watching "The Cabinet" from outside the little oyster one through a gap in the curtains. As a local band, they are what gave us inspiration to form our own band. We hit the road as "sleepy hollow" playing the local club/pub circuit which included the Warden Bay Hotel. Other bands that I remember playing there were "Ram Rod" "Flyin Hi" and "Tony Peters Five0" ....good times!!

David JM

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 03:29:08 »
Hi Guys,

I was a founder member of The Cabinet in 1969, along with Mike Beer........We played all around the county, including the Warden Bay Hotel, The Old Ash Tree in Gillingham, and various Working-men's Clubs, including the Ex-Servicemen's Club in Sheerness which we nicknamed "Rupture Staircase" because of the difficulty in getting all of our gear up into the top bar !!.

Amongst our contemporaries were "Midnight Hour" and "Burnt Ice".

I am still in regular contact with Mike, even though I left the band in 1976.  My last gig with The Cabinet was a wedding reception at the Borough Hall in Queenborough in July of that year.

Our very first gig was at the Warden Bay Hotel one Sunday lunch-time in 1970 ( 12.50 between the four of us !! Thank you Dave and Lorna, RIP), and we had regular winter/spring engagements until the regular Organ / Drums duo started their regular summer season stint.

Georgie Dee (George Dixon) also appeared with us (he's still around, too, living not far from the pub in Leysdown).

Amongst our best gigs must have been as a support act to Chicory Tip, and a dance at the Wheatsheaf Hall in Sheerness with the Johnny Young Four.  Both bands are still going - in fact I jammed with Chicory Tip just last night in Ramsgate !!

The Cabinet members:  Brian Austin (Bass guitar), Toby Hinshelwood (Drums), Mike Beer (Lead guitar), and yours truly - David Mitchell (Vocals / Rhythm guitar).

I'll dig out some photographs for a future post.  Meanwhile, here's a scanned image of one of our cards, discovered in my loft earlier this year (2012).  Our Bass player, Brian, coined the phrase "Rocks, Ballast and Peat" from the heading.  Ever the comedian !!  He moved to the West Country many years ago with his lovely wife Pat.  Toby and Mike are still living on Sheppey, and I moved to Birchington in 1979.

Aaah, happy days...........

Cheers,  David Mitchell

The Cabinet did indeed morph into Kudos after my departure..........

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 22:54:13 »
I'm probably posting in the wrong section so please move and not delete.  Does anyone recall the bands that played at the Warden Bay Hotel on the Isle of Sheppey?   Especially one named Tyke?

I can remember groups like Cabinet, who changed their name to Cudos. Penny Wistle, who played in in places like Minster Working Men's Club and Sheerness EastWorking Men's club in the 1970s, I would guess that they played in The Warden Bay Hotel too.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 10:30:24 »
seb. :)

I was in a band called Marsh that played there regularly in 1975. Sorry, I can't help with the names of other bands, I'm afraid.

Offline seb

• Appreciation 3
Bands of the 70's
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 16:26:15 »
I'm probably posting in the wrong section so please move and not delete.  Does anyone recall the bands that played at the Warden Bay Hotel on the Isle of Sheppey?   Especially one named Tyke?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines