News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: F.A.Clements, Chatham  (Read 4333 times)

p3ndldqny2

Re: F.A.Clements, Chatham
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 00:18:05 »
I also worked there as a letterpress machine minder between 1961 and 1967. There was a tunnel in the yard and one just up Chatham Hill on the left, used I believe to store paper. I think that the company was bought out by Gale & Polden Ltd.
Hi,

Could you elaborate on this because there is a huge thread discussing tunnels at the foot of Chatham Hill here:

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1254.90

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 73
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 16:59:35 »
neddy! I knew a few people that were at Clements during your time there, but at the moment I can only think of one name - Keith Cooper, a Comp. who lived in Gillingham.

neddy

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 16:48:17 »
I also worked there as a letterpress machine minder between 1961 and 1967. There was a tunnel in the yard and one just up Chatham Hill on the left, used I believe to store paper. I think that the company was bought out by Gale & Polden Ltd.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 17:31:02 »
I worked there during the Summer of 1970. I think there must have been some redevelopment on the site between when this photograph was taken and when I worked there as it looks different to how I remember it. (might be my memory though!)

The "cave" was used to store rubbish/etc when I worked there as I had to lug down all the out of date publications stored up in the attic  and dump them in there.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
F.A.Clements, Chatham
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 08:43:53 »
The printers is shown on the right hand side of the photo. Early 1960's I think.

www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines