News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ROC Post items  (Read 7332 times)

carolmapley

Re: ROC Post items
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 14:51:01 »
The "camera" is properly referred to as a Ground Zero Indicator normally abbreviated to GZI. The probe cover formed part of the Fixed Survey Meter or FSM.  The other post instrument was the Bomb Power Indicator or BPI which was the large white dialled instrument on the wall of the post monitoring room. The information from the GZI was used to triangulate the location of the burst, information from the BPI in conjunction with data from the GZI could be used to ascertain the power or yield of the weapon.

There were also ROCMET posts whose function was to provide an extremely basic meteorogical observation service for the UK. ROCMET posts were equipped with a set of basic meteorological instruments, can't remember which, however when I find my manual.... 1 Groups ROCMET posts were Manston and Fairlight if I recall correctly. All other posts used SUPMET which were basic met observations gathered by eye using a tick box information sheet. Both SUPMET and ROCMET data was also important for the function of AWDREY located at certain groups as thunderstorms could give a false positive for a nuclear weapon explosion. AWDREY or Atomic Weapon Distance Range Estimation of Yield was a device mounted on some group controls which could give basic bomb blast data and was useful in the transition to war period in case there was a nuclear strike on the UK before the Corps was fully manned up. I think I'm right in saying 2 Group at Horsham had an Awdrey as did 10 Group at Exeter.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 17:53:04 »
A teletalk from post 55 i managed to see today, soon to be sold on ebay  >:(  :D

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 12:04:19 »
It Went for 112  

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 15:48:21 »
I'm glad the money will be going back into the fort, or at least into it's civil defence section  ).(

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 13:19:20 »
The camera (on the left) in the first pic has not long sold on ebay for 175   :o

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
ROC Post items
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 17:45:19 »
Here are two bits that were on the outside of the post when in use

And those of you that have seen the wooden crates inside or pics of them, here is a pic of a couple of them with sirens!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines