News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Marks & Spencer, Gillingham High Street (closed)  (Read 11219 times)

merc

Re: Marks & Spencer, Gillingham High Street (closed)
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 16:21:45 »
Thanks, Janetlinda56 :)

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 16:10:39 »
They are working on the flooring in the walkway.

merc

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 15:05:15 »
I only occasionally go in the building these days, but when I tried to go through the store the other day to the back entrance, that leads to the footbridge and Balmoral Gardens, the passage was closed.

Does anyone know if it's temporary, or a permanent closure?

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 21:19:41 »
Thanks lindagro, I couldn't ask for a more accurate answer!
nostalgia's not what it used to be

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 11:22:34 »
I believe my husband`s sister in law worked there as well.

lindagro

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 18:15:16 »
The store closed on 3rd February 1990.  I was a member of staff there on and off from 1967 until it closed. 

merc

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 12:34:49 »
The Marks & Spencer Penny Bazaar had opened in 1912 and sold quality goods at low prices. It had the slogan 'Don't ask the price, it's a penny'.

A picture of the opening of the new store in October 1933. Due to inflation, goods were now being sold at a maximum of 5 shillings.

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 21:36:07 »
Didn't the closure of M&S Gillingham coincide, more or less, with the opening of the new store at Hempstead Valley? Hempstead Valley & the Pentagon together did for Gillingham as a major shopping centre.

My memory is far from perfect these days mikeb, but I thought the M and S branch at Hempstead opened a good few years after Gillingham closure. It was when the extra wing was added, which I thought was sometime into the 90s. Saying that, still can't be sure when Gillingham shut but was very early 90s at the latest I'd have said. But like you say the Pentagon and Hempstead Valley certainly did for Gillingham High Street with the final nail in the coffin being the closure of the dockyard. Sorry all for deviating somewhat off topic.
nostalgia's not what it used to be

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 16:42:54 »
Didn't the closure of M&S Gillingham coincide, more or less, with the opening of the new store at Hempstead Valley? Hempstead Valley & the Pentagon together did for Gillingham as a major shopping centre.

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 12:19:00 »
I know, but it had a cut through from the High Street, although not to Balmoral  Gardens, that was my point.

merc

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 11:56:34 »
This thread is about Marks and Spencer??? Not Debenhams/Lefevres etc. :(

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 10:28:07 »
Debenhams,  formerly Lefevres, had a side entrance in Green Street, through Fads or the betting shop.

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 07:05:03 »
That is why when the Co-op took over the building the walkway was put in, so that customers could still gain access to the car park in Balmoral Gardens. The independent owners of Nisa have wanted to close the walkway, because people are now just using it as a cut through rather than shop in the shop.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 23:28:17 »
I wonder if there were some kind of public footpath/right of way running through the store, because when the Co-op took over the site they kept the back entrance open to shoppers just as M&S had done.  I don't think any of the other shops along that stretch of the High Street did that.
It may have been a case of providing customers with a short-cut to Balmoral Gardens car park. 
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Merry

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 22:18:39 »
I wonder if there were some kind of public footpath/right of way running through the store, because when the Co-op took over the site they kept the back entrance open to shoppers just as M&S had done. I don't think any of the other shops along that stretch of the High Street did that.

I also remember (very hazily) the branch of Debenhams.  I think they had a perfumery department near the front of the store and a ladies' wear department where I bought a much longed-for tweed hacking jacket.  In my defence it was the 80s and I was a teenager who didn't know any better.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines