News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Marks & Spencer, Gillingham High Street (closed)  (Read 11220 times)

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 4
Re: Marks & Spencer, Gillingham High Street (closed)
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 21:43:39 »
When Nisa took over the building, the store was reduced inside, by adding lots of partition walls. Although the store is called Nisa, it is run by an independent trader. It's on it's 3rd owner since Nisa opened.

merc

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 21:39:14 »
In one of my books it says the Marks & Spencer store opened in 1933, prior to that there was a 'Marks & Spencer Bazaar' at No. 145.

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 20:59:36 »
There was also a pharmacy by the King street entrance, of the old department store.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 20:39:31 »
The food hall was at the front of the building and the department store was at the back and upstairs. There was a branch of the Co-Op bank right at the back of the department store.

Later on, when the food hall moved across the road to the old M & S store, a branch of Select occupied the front part of the building until the Co-op moved out and Wilkinsons took over the lower floor.

I remember the old M & S store and if I remember rightly, Debenhams was next door and ran along the High St and round the back of the Kent Reliance branch on the corner, with an entrance on Green Street opposite the old Post Office. Both Debenhams and M & S closed not long after the Navy moved out of the Dockyard.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 14:48:52 »
The supermaket was at the side of the department store, later it moved just over the road to the M & S  site,

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 22:52:13 »
Thanks numanfan, I really couldn't remember what building it occupied, so that's of great interest. That makes sense now as I recall that at the back of the old M&S store, where the food department was, there were steps going up to a rear entrance/exit which is where the corridor at the side of  the store would roughly lead to since occupation by co-op/nisa (small car park behind old bingo hall next to bridge leading to Balmoral Gardens).

I remember the Co-Op supermarket being built in the 70s, this since became Co-Op dept store and is now mainly Wilkinsons. What became of the Co-Op supermarket when the department store moved in, or am I becoming confused? Maybe the supermarket occupied the building at the same time as the department store and the company later felt the grocery side unnecessary and moved it out?  I'd really appreciate any help on this from you good people out there on KHF with good memories!
nostalgia's not what it used to be

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
Marks & Spencer, Gillingham High Street (closed)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 21:10:14 »
Hi all,

Was just wondering whether anyone on here recalls the long since closed branch of M&S in Gillingham High Street? It was up at the station end of the High Street and would have been on the right looking towards the station. It was never a very large store compared to other towns and was never updated so the writing was on the wall regards its closure. That would have been the late 80's/very early 90's if I remember rightly. I guess the closure of the dockyard in 1984 didn't help matters. It's hard to imagine there was ever a store like M&S there when you see it today, the decline has been so quick. The irony is trade was much better before the concept of pedestrianisation in the late 70's. Anybody have any photos of the high street from the 70's and 80's?
nostalgia's not what it used to be

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines