News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 'Dorothy' Houseboat, Upnor Beach  (Read 4621 times)

Offline Oxlade

• Appreciation 0
Re: 'Dorothy' Houseboat, Upnor Beach
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 14:15:06 »
Just logged on to this forum and was fascinated to see mention of the 'Dorothy Tea Rooms' as I believe it was called back in the late 1950's and early 60's.  I remember well my parents taking me and my sisters on board in Lower Upnor for refreshments when I was a youngster.  Presumably the business eventually failed as I also remember the derelict boat in rather a sorry state for some time afterwards.  Happy days!

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 12:42:55 »
Dorothy has a rather odd shape, but nice floats.

Offline Bobdonk

• Appreciation 22
    • Bus Walks
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 08:26:09 »
There is a copy of the same postcard in the Couchman collection at Medway City Archives with a August 19th 1905 postmark.

Another (or the same) tearoom at Upnor:
http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/query/results/?Mode=ShowImg&Img=/cityark/Scans/Unofficial_or_Privately_Originated_Collections/DE0402_Couchman_ephemera_and_MSS_/DE0402_25.html/DE402_25_20U.jpg

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 124
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 07:43:37 »
Sorry if this has come up on another topic, but I do remember another tea "boat" at Upnor in the early 60's. We'd get the boat across from the Sun Pier and there was, in my recollection, a tea place on one of the old concrete barges there - or have I dreamt this?

You're probably right Chas. As I mentioned on my first post, I'd read that there were a few of these 'floating' cafes at Upnor. This just happens to be the only one I've seen a picture of & is representative of the type of establishment available whilst at Upnor-on-Sea :)

I posted it because someone remembered walking a gangplank to a cafe whilst visiting Upnor as a child & wondered if it was the Arethusa Training Ship.

Looking at the age & construction of the 'Dorothy', I doubt if it was still serving customers 40/50/60 years on, which is when most people are recollecting visiting Upnor beach.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline Chas

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 05:26:51 »
Sorry if this has come up on another topic, but I do remember another tea "boat" at Upnor in the early 60's. We'd get the boat across from the Sun Pier and there was, in my recollection, a tea place on one of the old concrete barges there - or have I dreamt this?

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 23:10:01 »
Fantastic photo - looks much nicer than the one I remember.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 21:04:57 »
Yes it is a great photo, we could have gone together busyglen it looked like fun  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 20:49:17 »
That is a fantastic photo.  Would have loved to have had a cup of tea on there!  :)
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Online JohnWalker

• Appreciation 54
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 20:30:17 »
What a brilliant postcard.   Can you imagine what the equivalent would look like now to comply with health and Safety regs.  :)

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 124
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
'Dorothy' Houseboat, Upnor Beach
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 20:10:51 »
On a separate thread there was mention of a floating cafe at Upnor. Apparently there were a few but the most popular was 'Dorothy'.

www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines