News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pelmarsh airfield , ( Hythe ?)  (Read 8619 times)

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
    • Ghost Connections
Re: Pelmarsh airfield , ( Hythe ?)
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 19:43:09 »
Images from Aeroplane Monthly March 2016 which has an in depth article about Palmarsh (Dymchurch) Airfield.

Under Maj H E Chaney OBE and Major Paris Geddes the School of Aerial Gunnery at Dymchurch was involved in the development of the Hythe Gun Camera.

1. Armstrong Whitworth FK3's No1 (Auxilliary) School of Aerial Gunnery.

2. Seated left Major Henry Chaney with Maj Paul Geddes together with two unidentified French Officers.

3. Aerial view of No 1 (Auxilliary) School of Aerial Gunnery at Dymchurch during 1917.

4. An advertisement for the Thornton Pickard Manufacturing Company including the Hythe Gun Camera at bottom right.

5. Vickers FB.5 1617 in which Capt WHC Mansfield and Chaney took off on the night of 19-20 January 1915 to try and intercept Zeppelins L3 and L4 inbound from Fuhlsbuttel near Hamburg for their first raid on Britain.

6. Chaney in an FK.3 1916

7. Lines of Armstrong Whitworth FK.3's at Dymchurch (Palmarsh) probably during 1917. Nearest example is serial A8119 coded '26'.

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 27
  • History from above
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 21:24:59 »
I posted a 1917aerial picture of this airfield,  No 1 Aux School of Aerial Gunnery,  plus a recent aerial shot  - a while ago. Not sure where it is now!
Trikeman
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

mossman

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 14:49:33 »
Thanks seafordpete, just back from local library after being handed the same info. about abct.org , they also provided me with the same print of the crashed Armstrong Whitworth FK3 that I obtained in the booklet and a printout locating the airfield just to the west of Boltoph's Bridge road in the approximate area of Nicholl's old ballast pit, (I wonder if the developers of the proposed housing estate realise its historic past).
As a feather in this sites cap they (the library) were also using this very forum to check their facts and pointed out much of this info was available under the RFC Lydd posting. OK that made me look a bit of a charlie but hey.

seafordpete

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 10:49:16 »
Just read further down the Google listing and http://www.abct.org.uk/airfields/dymchurch-palmarsh    An RFC/RAF field 1915-17 aka RFC Dymchurch

seafordpete

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 10:46:24 »
Nothing showing on OS 1930s/40s area N of the ranges to the canal is gravel pits, sewage works and lots of drains shown. What about Brenzett or any other ALG or ELG nearby?

mossman

Pelmarsh airfield , ( Hythe ?)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 10:28:01 »
Last w/e managed to get hold of an old booklet showing two photographs of aircraft damaged whilst landing at "Pelmarsh" (Hythe ?). From the desription of the area it sounds as though this is Palmarsh, talks of firing ranges and the area now being a ballast pit and as being on the edge of Romney Marsh, could be in the area of Lydd but does seem to be Hythe, only I am unaware of there ever being an airfield there, any one with anything else who can confirm or otherwise, cheers,
Mossy.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines