News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kent Beer Bottle  (Read 3570 times)

hitman373

Re: Kent Beer Bottle
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 10:54:20 »
Very true! I wouldn`t have sold it unless it was worth a lot.  Thanks again for all the info.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 10:25:00 »
Most of these ginger beer bottles are worth perhaps 10 or so with the occasional rarity going up to 3, or sometimes 4 figures! The important and most satisfying thing is that you found it, and with the the story of how you came to have it....that is priceless. Now that you have one how about looking around or at least keeping your eye out for a few more from your locality, for a shelf in the kitchen perhaps. It can become addictive though like any hobby or pastime.

hitman373

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 20:59:27 »
Wow! Thanks for the reply that's a lot of information! Yes I forgot to say it was a stoneware bottle not glass.  It is in pretty good condition considering it was buried for years! 

Thanks again I assume its not worth money?  Not really bothered I really like it definitely the best thing I've found!

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 15:58:26 »
Always pleased to help if I can grandarog :)

Welcome to the Forum hitman373. In the book Kent bottles there is a bottle listed that has the same details as yours. This is a stoneware bottle rather than glass and would have held Ginger beer, the details are printed on the front rather than the embossed company details you would find on glass. The company was established in 1865 by James Robins at 6 Palace St. By 1878 the address was 23 Palace St and remained so till mid 1880's when the company moved to larger premises at Malvern House, Broad St. In 1899 the company was run by James's wife Mary and also had an outlet in 7-8 Church Square Margate. The company became M-E Robins in 1905 and run by two ladies until closed in 1924. Mrs Mary Robins stayed at Malvern House after the company ceased trading and was recorded as a bookseller in a 1928 directory. I can find no mention of this company producing alcoholic beverages in Peter Moynihans brewery book only Ginger beer/Mineral waters in Marks book. I hope that is of some help to you.

Source..  Kent Bottles by Mark Reed.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 100
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 15:18:23 »
Welcome to the Forum.

Cue Sheppey Bottles, enter stage right with the info! :)

hitman373

Kent Beer Bottle
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 12:30:45 »
Hi All.  I have a beer bottle which I dug up when working at Canterbury golf course about 5 years ago.  It has Robins Canterbury est 1865 on the front.  I was wondering if anyone could give me any info on it as I can`t find anything online?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines