News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fort Amherst Ancient Finds  (Read 2409 times)

merc

Re: Fort Amherst Ancient Finds
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 20:23:26 »
There are also some buried Roman foundations i believe, near the Redoubt. Similar Roman remains were found the other side of the river....i think they were some sort of lookout for the Roman bridge crossing at Rochester.

I haven't heard of any Anglo-Saxon remains found in the area of Upper Cornwallis Battery, but it's possible...i know burial sites and mounds were disturbed in the making of the fortifications, some of them recorded by Captain James Douglas.

I would love to see that article you have Leofwine :)

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Fort Amherst Ancient Finds
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 17:42:39 »
Despite living very close by in Brompton, it has been quite a few years since I last visited the Fort, which is odd, as at school I used the development of the fort for my Graphical Communications project - hours of drawing out plans of the ditches, buildings, etc, and researching it it the RE library etc (the Fort wasn't open to the public back than, I think that FALT had only just been set up back then and the restoration was in its very early stages!) so have had an interest in it for a long time.

Looking at those photos it looks as though everyone has been doing a great job there and I'll have to visit again soon! Well done everyone who has worked on it.

Scrolling through the posts has also reminded me about the Anglo-Saxon Burial grounds there.  I see two of them (or two parts of the same one) appear on a couple of the plans (one in the area of Amherst Redoubt on the 1976 plan, the other nearer Spur Battery on the 1953 plan) but I have a vague recollection of there being one (or perhaps just another part of the same one) in the area of Upper Cornwallis Battery.  Is this correct?  And are there any others shown on any of the plans?

I'm also going to have to try and dig out the article I had on the finds from the burial grounds and re-read it too (from Archaeologia Cantiana I think)!
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines