News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fort Amherst (Unspecific)  (Read 3410 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: Fort Amherst (Unspecific)
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 15:37:18 »
New cover over the well allowing visitors to look up and down!

The Grand Shaft, know thought to have been an ammunition shaft.

Main stairs up to the surface, no longer used due to health and safety and EH rightfully not allowing a handrail to be added.

merc

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 12:31:09 »

In 1756 it was stated that the stores for the Chatham Lines were to be kept at the Gunwharf as there was no suitable buildings within the fortifications. Desmaretz (a Board of Ordnance Architect) suggested that 227 barrels of powder could be kept in a "Subterraneous cavity" at the chalk pit (The Caveyard). It's stated that it could hold 260 barrels if it was fitted out, this is ordered to be done...

The tunnels were enlargened later by the military and miners (not prisoners), and casemated chambers inside the tunnels were provided for the cannons that defended the Barrier Ditch. The tunnels were also a means of access between the lower and upper works of the fort, and could be used for shelter during a siege.

merc

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 13:23:16 »
I recently read (not sure how true it is) that one idea considered,was to have another line of forts just outside fort Amherst,fort Pitt and fort Clarence.
This was before the Royal Commission(i think) and then later the Palmerstone forts were built further from the dockyard due to improved artillary technology.

But i think this first scheme was turned down at the time either because it would of been too costly,or the threat had died down.

One of the forts considered was to have been built on Chatham hill in the area which is now Medway Maritime Hospital.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 16:25:41 »
 :)

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 18:39:53 »
Thanks.

I have just searched the web using the word "Caponier" and found some pics  :). Looks vaguely similar to what I remember, though somewhat cleaner inside !

The entrance in now appears to be doorway sized. Someone did a good job of removing all the debris blocking the lower half.

I would love to have a tour of the hidden areas.
"there was more hit than miss about this arbitrary bombardment"

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 18:23:04 »
The building you remember is the Caponier.  It is indeed still standing and is part of the unrestored area.  I'm sure we will have another group trip there at some point, will be a bit of a wait though unfortunatly as we had one a few weeks ago.

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 18:18:17 »
This has all made me keen to re-visit the site. Last went about 8 years ago, with my son.

Was keen on military history as a lad and used to explore Ft Amherst before it was opened to the public ( something I would not do now I am old and sensible ). I remember there being a deep ditch at the back of the Spur Battery somewhere, which ended in a high wall, backing on to the tennis courts, perhaps ?

Anyway, there was a narrow opening in this wall at ground level, that seemed like a partially overgrown doorway. You could squeeze inside into what I remember as a large brick lined chamber, with perhaps as many as three (?) sets of steps going upwards, continuing the line of the ditch. Each of these steps was blocked off before going to far up. I don't recall whether they were collapsed or bricked off.

I have often wondered since where these would have lead  to and whether they still exist. They were not in the public part of the tours I have been on over the years.
"there was more hit than miss about this arbitrary bombardment"

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Fort Amherst (Unspecific)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 22:08:59 »
The ARP, soon to be tarted up with all the phones working etc...

The light in the underground areas make for some interesting photo's!  (notice i didn't say good  :D)

Some interesting features that have only in the past year or so been understood.  These can also be found in the underground areas of Fort Clarence and are still attached to the gates and closing mechanism.  It is hoped that these will be restored at this fort in the future.

Officers privy

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines