News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cliffe Coast Guard Cottages  (Read 6952 times)

Slates59

Re: Cliffe Coast Guard Cottages
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 16:51:05 »
Hi! My name is Christopher Slater, my dad and granddad lived in Coastguard cottages.  My granddad, George Slater was there when the themes burst its banks, think it was in the 40s. My granddad grabbed my dad, Jack Slater, in the middle of the night and went up to the village I believe. I have an old picture somewhere of the cottages.

Offline linyarin

• Appreciation 44
    • Cliffe History
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 17:11:12 »

Fantastic! exactly what I was looking for (a few more photos?) many thanks for this!

Will try to find more photographs. I know that there are several available but are not easy to get hold of & the only one I have of the cottages is on our website and is the one you show on an earlier post.

Offline Admiral D Ascoyne

• Appreciation 10
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 15:35:45 »

Fantastic! exactly what I was looking for (a few more photos?) many thanks for this!

Cheers

Admiral

If memory serves me right the cottages were demolished about 1994. There were various rumours as to why they were demolished: a) they were to become 'listed' and the PLA didn't want them to prevent any future building on the marshes, b) the nearby jetty was in use for the transportation of Cruise missiles and the cottages would be in the zone if an explosion took place. Rumours that probably had no foundation to them.

The Coast Guard Cottages (Swallow Coast Guard Cottages) were so named due to the Coat Watch vessel, the Swallow which guarded the Cliffe Creek. They were used by the crew and families of the watch vessel and then rented out by the PLA.

In 1830 the Coastguard was formed by the merger of the Water Guard and the Customs. This new body was to be controlled by the Royal Navy with the remit of preventing smuggling and dealing with shipwrecks by lifesaving and protection from looters. This continued until 1923 when the Coastguard duties was solely life-saving at sea, salvage of wrecks and maintaining the rules of the sea.

The picture below is of the HMS Seagull, sister ship to the HMS Swallow.
Nostalgia's not what it used to be

Offline linyarin

• Appreciation 44
    • Cliffe History
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 10:31:26 »
If memory serves me right the cottages were demolished about 1994. There were various rumours as to why they were demolished: a) they were to become 'listed' and the PLA didn't want them to prevent any future building on the marshes, b) the nearby jetty was in use for the transportation of Cruise missiles and the cottages would be in the zone if an explosion took place. Rumours that probably had no foundation to them.

The Coast Guard Cottages (Swallow Coast Guard Cottages) were so named due to the Coast Watch vessel, the Swallow which guarded the Cliffe Creek. They were used by the crew and families of the watch vessel and then rented out by the PLA.

In 1830 the Coastguard was formed by the merger of the Water Guard and the Customs. This new body was to be controlled by the Royal Navy with the remit of preventing smuggling and dealing with shipwrecks by lifesaving and protection from looters. This continued until 1923 when the Coastguard duties were solely life-saving at sea, salvage of wrecks and maintaining the rules of the sea.

The picture below is of the HMS Seagull, sister ship to the HMS Swallow.

• Appreciation 10
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 09:20:56 »
Anyone have anything?

I found an old photo...

• Appreciation 10
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
Cliffe Coast Guard Cottages
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 15:54:11 »
Hello,

I'm trying to find out as much info as I can on the former Coast Guard cots. at the end of Mean Rd in Cliffe.

I understand they were pulled down at some point but wanted to know why, when and if there`s any photos knocking about that I could ogle, please?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines