News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Minster Estates  (Read 3650 times)

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
Re: Minster Estates
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 11:41:09 »

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 10:53:09 »
.... to provide plots of land for returning soldiers from the war to purchase ...

I heard a similar story in the 1950s, except the plots were not intended for returning soldiers. They were sold before the 1914-18 war, but not claimed after the war owing to the losses you mentioned. So the streets were laid out as you mentioned, and named, and I vaguely recall the name Ramuz on hoardings advertising the plots for sale.

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 21
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 09:14:13 »
I bought a piece of land in Minster with a Possessory title in the seventies. The law then was that after 13 years a Possessory title became absolute. I took out a one-off premium insurance policy because if the original owner turned up with a valid claim to the land they could reclaim it including any buildings on the plot. I was told then that Londoners would come down on holiday and buy a piece of land for next to nothing as gifts for their children.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 21:29:00 »

Is this suggstion any use ? Taken from another KFH forum. (I forgot which !!)

Could it be the site of the proposed building of a works for making the brick ready for building the many (Minster seaside) streets thought up by Mr. Ramuz who tried to sell houses on Sunny Sheppey to Londoners? Was he the one who hired buses to bring the people here and after many drinks they forgot what/where they bought until when they died their children found the deeds and tried to reclaim their houses?  Hence the need for some buyers in some streets who are still required to take out extra insurance now, just in case these original owners of the land turn up.

The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

busyglen

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 16:18:07 »
I'm not too sure about that conan, but I do remember that friends of our family had a house on Hilltop Road, which my brothers and I (as children) used to visit on occasions.  We loved it as the garden was a bit of a wilderness, although it had a rough fence around it.  The house/bungalow(can't remember now) was old and possibly prefabricated, so it is possible that they had acquired it upon Mr Cudmore leaving the Royal Marines.  Unfortunately the family died many years ago, before the road was built on and it changed.  I'd also be interested to hear if your idea is correct.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 78
Minster Estates
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 14:38:36 »
Whilst growing up on Barton Hill Drive back in the 50s and 670s, I was told that the adjacent unmade dirt roads, Summerville and Sanspareil Avenues and Darlington Drive along with Hilltop Road, had been laid out to provide plots of land for returning soldiers from the war to purchase. Apparently there was much confusion over ownership due to the unfortunate deaths of men in action, which was why a lot of the area wasn't built on for years. The area was a great playground to grow up in although some of the plots were occupied mainly with bungalows though I do remember one plot on Summerville Avenue that was occupied by what I believe was an old railway carriage painted Green. Apparently the large estates on the cliffs at Minster were also laid out with similar intentions. Does anyone have any further information about the wartime origins of these plots?
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines