News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Sheerness Steel railways  (Read 5992 times)

Offline Local Hiker

• Appreciation 4
Re: Sheerness Steel railways
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 21:51:22 »
I have been aware of this plan for some time, but just did not think to post. The plan is a logical update to my posts from August 2016.

As far as formal planning goes, there are clearly intentions to restore the Sheerness Docks railhead on the re-developed Wellmarsh site.
Two double tracks are planned, one to the west of the development, and the other to the east, almost connecting to Sheerness Railway Station at the north-east of the site.

http://pa.midkent.gov.uk/online-applications/files/6264C9FBC3915BE2CA65444C2C6D1335/pdf/16_501726_FULL-Proposed_Site_Layout-3805560.pdf

Offline Local Hiker

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 17:06:04 »
Further to my previous post (reply #7), the level crossing is being repaired over the last few days, and the railway track is being reset in new tarmac; it has not been removed. I therefore infer that the railway line into the docks will be restored sometime in the future...

The old Sheerness Steel railway sidings are well and truly cleared and levelled now. There is no sign that the railway system ever existed here, (or the original Sheerness station that preceded it at this location).

Offline Local Hiker

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 10:25:27 »
I saw the sidings being lifted a few weeks ago, but I was curious if they were just lifting the sidings, or completely severing the link into Sheerness Docks too.

The track of the docks branch cannot be seen as you drive along the road; it is too low below the road level, and is hidden by vegetation.

So, I just had to go and check. (a seven mile walk from my house, taking in Blue Town too).

Here is the result. There is no longer a rail link into Sheerness Docks!

The level crossing is still there, but I read in the KM that the track is to be removed from the road soon, after a nasty cycle accident caused by the ruts between the rails and the tarmac.

Peel Ports "20 year plan" includes moving freight by rail between Sheerness and Liverpool Docks, and they still advertise Sheerness Docks as being a rail head, so I am watching this space....

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 05:21:48 »
Thank you Local hiker for the leads. So once again part of our history is to be sacrificed on the altar of mammon. Life has to go on I suppose, just seems a shame not to investigate its past while the opportunity presents itself. Still, at least the occupants will get to rest now even if it is under a concrete shroud.

Offline Local Hiker

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 22:21:50 »

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 07:59:28 »
Hi, anyone have information on what the powers that be intend to do with the old steel works and its adjoining areas? My interest stems from the point that I worked on the installation of the power grid at the site many moons ago. At that time it was just open land with signs of long ago abandoned military occupation. Over the years I have often wondered about the coffins and tomb stones we disturbed by preparing the ground work, would the present work allow a proper investigation of what was there? Perhaps we already have that information!  I don't know, but would be interesting to find out.

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 27
  • History from above
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 22:10:16 »
Just in time - looks like they had already started ripping up the lines when I flew over a couple of weeks ago
Trikeman
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Offline Local Hiker

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 11:12:04 »
The sidings in the bottom left of Trikeman's aerial photo have been lifted in the last couple of weeks.

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 27
  • History from above
Sheerness Steel railways
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 22:24:27 »
Thought I'd get some pictures of the Sheppey Steel's extensive railway network before it gets ripped up! The road crossing to the rest of the docks is still there with the yellow lines
Trikeman
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines