Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Southern Railway Works, Ashford  (Read 3947 times)

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 25
  • History from above
Re: Southern Railway Works, Ashford
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 09:52:57 »
This is what remains as of April 2017. Very little of the long sheds seem to be in use now apart from the Balfour Beatty shed nearest the main line. The roofs have sheets missing in various places. The housing will clearly extend along the entire rear of the existing buildings - whether the old sheds will survive or have any sort of protection I don't know. At least we have the large Hitachi depot now to keep some vestige of rail industry, albeit Japanese imports, alive in Ashford
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 19:14:24 »
Here are some videos of the works from Youtube for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4_bO2GKTUo

This shows 2 'C' Class loco's shunting: 31592 [before being re-numbered as DS239 :) in July 1963] and 31280.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=SrVO0-0S_Ng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=2iwrRLW9i8w&NR=1

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 11:32:42 »
If I'm reading the photo correctly then the concrete covering the ground at the Folkestone end of the site is at present being broken up and cleared. Is another housing estate going in there? There's still a bit of a siding at this end of the site which is used by P.Way rail vehicles. On Bing Maps (satellite views), this area is called Newtown Industrial Estate and I can see several sheds in the view that are not there anymore.

Yes Delboy, I went there for my railway medical too, 1972 that was, not 1929.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 09:46:47 »
   1847. An ideal site has been found in Kent to build steam locomotives.
   The directors of South Eastern Railway have bought 185 acres of farmland in Ashford. Here, in time they hope to create a factory building the finest standard design locomotives.
   With so many extensions to a great railway system now in place and more and more lines under construction it is intended that Ashford should grow into a railway town.
   There is considerable opposition to the plans. The Archbishop is worried about the inadequacy of church provision for the large number of men likely to be employed.
   SER reacted with the speed for which they are renowned. The Rev John Pughe has already been invited to minister to the spiritual needs of the workforce at Ashford and the company has awarded him a grant of £100.

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 13:52:35 »
I assume that the picture shows the extension of the sidings on the north side of the works. When I used to go to school by train from Ashford to Folkestone in the late 1970s, on these 'new' sidings there stood what looked like a decorative mini steam engine, painted white. Does anyone know what it was or what became of it?

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 16:11:04 »
 I went here for my railway medical when I started on BR, not in 1929 I might add. delboy

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
Southern Railway Works, Ashford
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 16:46:26 »
An aerial view 1929:

cliveh

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines