News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Southern Railway Works, Ashford  (Read 7095 times)

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
Re: Southern Railway Works, Ashford
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 12:18:41 »
Yes, and so DS240 was the last Southern Region steam locomotive in BR service, albeit in a stationary role..

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2018, 15:00:06 »
http://www.serifwebresources.com/control.php?uid=81ed695263e7127fd17af0cf6f67bf6257d2f450&post=1518274

"Another point worth noting is that ‘C’ Class DS240 (31271) was at Ashford Works in departmental service as a stationary boiler. This was reported to still be in use providing steam for cleaning bogies on July 23, 1967 nearly two weeks after southern steam had finished."

See also https://maxstaffordskennel.com/2016/08/14/southern-boogie/

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2018, 08:05:17 »
Correct Conan, an expansion device. DTT it looks like a rush job. To be honest I've only ever seen lagged feed pipes on former USSR and other locos that work for extended periods in extreme cold conditions, in this case it looks like a fitter got over worried and just wrapped 3' of rope around it.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 76
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 23:17:52 »
I wonder what machine she was providing steam for inside the shed?. Does anyone have any idea why the supply pipe from the steam dome has an upward U-bend in it, could it have acted as an expansion device of some sort?
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 19
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 20:34:02 »
Yes,  but they seem to have used it with no lap.  Pehaps times were hard.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 19:11:12 »
Looks like asbestos rope being used as lagging. It was used by the mile at St Augustine's Hospital. Wrapped around the pipe neatly then plastered over, DTT speak to Mr K on Saturday about it.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 67
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 18:53:56 »
I would imagine that with the end of BR steam just a couple of years away they were just doing the bare minimum to keep things running.

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 19
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 17:04:46 »
That looks like piston rod or valve packing they have put around the clack and clack feed pipe.  Very rough work.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 14:25:47 »
Wainwright Class C 0-6-0 as Departmental DS 240 [ex No. 31271] at Ashford Works on 29th May 1966.

Offline kentnavigator

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 12:32:52 »
There has been a setback for the Ashford Model Rail Centre, the proposed site was on old Klondyke works land and after testing this was found to be contaminated. The combined cost of buying the land and subsequent clean up was too expensive so a new location is being sought.

Offline howard

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 19:50:21 »
Roger Daltry is still a backer, along with others. I think you will find that he was only the figurehead as it made good publicity.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 76
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 22:08:45 »
The rock star is Roger Daltrey, this news item is dated 2016 so things have probably changed.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/approval-for-model-railways-museum-93183/

The plans

http://www.aimrec.co.uk/

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline howard

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 21:18:53 »
I think you will find that it is a scheme proposed by a number of people and backed by others, some of whom are rock stars, rsther than being proposed by a rock star. I believe that they have problems with the proposed building area being classed as contaminated land and are looking for somewhere else in the area.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 20:19:51 »
The last I read was a rock star was planning a national model railway museum built there. I've not heard anything since.
JW

Offline CommanderChuff

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 18:09:55 »
I have been keeping a watching brief on the this site and I can report that the area north of the long carriage sheds in the centre of the image (with the red crane in the clearing) are being cleared for re-development.  We understand that the proposal is to build mixed residential housing and to reuse the old sheds as they are grade 2 listed as retail units.  The exterior walls will be retained and also the internal cranes, but there are no other features still in-situ. 
David,
Royal Navy, Aircraft Engineer, Project Manager, Yachtsman, Eroica Cyclist,  Railway Modeller

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines