News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The old Dockyard Museum  (Read 4312 times)

Wardy

Re: The old Dockyard Museum
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 10:43:58 »
I remember this from the 50s, used to hang out there as apprentices. The museum was on the upper floor accessed by wooden steps which are missing from the photo. I don't know when this dated from but the stuff in there was showing it's age even then. I do remember though the model of s set of locks, I don't think it was a copy of any in the yard unless it was the one at the Bull's Nose, I don't remember too much of that set. Or maybe it was a bridge of some sort. It was operated by a rack and pinion which fed it in and out of the dock and at the end of the stroke the hand rails would raise and lower.

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 22
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 19:03:01 »
So, is that where Number 1 workbase was - or the volunteers and shipkeepers workshops are now?   Its style is very remnisicent of slips 6/7 in style.
DTT

merc

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 17:37:32 »
Thursday, December 13, 1900

The Admiralty has approved of the site of a museum for Chatham Dockyard and of the expenditure necessary for the alterations. A new gunnery store has lately been built, and its predecessor is, it is understood, to be used for this purpose. There is a number of relics - a wood chest taken from a Spanish galleon by Sir G. Rooke in 1704 ; a large bronze gun captured at the storming of Nankin ; a flag of the time of Olliver Cromwell ; innumerable relics of the Dutch attack in 1667 ; several mementoes of Nelson ; a shot taken out of the Castor after the bombardment of Acre in 1840 ; and many other articles associated with the Crimean War. There are also a number of models of warships and a miscellaneous collection of figureheads. It is evident, however, that there is the nucleus of a most interesting museum whose contents would be continually increasing. Why should there not be a similar museum at Portsmouth and at Devonport ?

From The Morning Post.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 18:13:24 »
Ah ha look what I've just found - I forgot I even had it!:

cliveh

merc

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 17:47:06 »
Thanks cliveh :)

Saturday, December 15, 1900

There are signs, that, not before time, the Admiralty is awakening to a sense of responsibilty for the safe keeping of the naval relics at the various dockyards. These have hitherto been preserved in a somewhat haphazard manner, and not a few, as, for instance some of the old figureheads, have begun to show signs of rough usage. The first sign of the new interest in these objects is the provision of a museum at Chatham. The site of which has now been approved. The relics will be brought together and permanently housed including several Nelson mementoes. The bulk of the collection dates from no further back than the Crimean War, but there are still a large number of reminders of 1667, when the Dutch fleet made its way into the Thames and Medway, and attacked shipping.

From  The Huddersfield Chronicle and West Yorkshire Advertiser.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 16:31:49 »
A postcard c1902:

cliveh

merc

The old Dockyard Museum
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 16:24:41 »
The old dockyard museum was located in a large building which stood between docks 2 and 3, on the site of the reception building for the Cavalier.

The old dockyard museum was opened by the Prince of Wales on March 25, 1902, the same day as Mary, Princess of Wales, accompanied by the Prince, launched the battleship, Prince of Wales. Inside the museum was a large number of exhibits and ships figureheads.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines