News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Medway Youth Hostel Association (YHA Medway)  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Del

• Appreciation 4
Re: Medway Youth Hostel Association (YHA Medway)
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 22:41:50 »
Yes. Wonderful days. Thank you for your reply. You are probably correct about the colour of the badge and I think I might even have an 'unsewn' one tucked away in our garage.
If I find it I'll let you know.
Cheers.

Offline Robin

• Appreciation 12
Re: Medway Youth Hostel Association (YHA Medway)
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 18:58:56 »
Hi Del.

Not sad at all.  In the mid/late 1950s, I was also a member of the YHA, and each year I would journey from my home in Wigan to the South to hike round airports and airfields, visiting such places as London Airport (Heathrow), Croydon, Luton, Blackbush and Biggin Hill, staying in hostels which ranged from a barn to a luxury place in Holland Park, I think that I stayed at a Hostel in Kemsing when I visited Biggin Hill.  I also had a green triangular cloth badge sewn on the front of my anorak, plus some cloth badges from the hostels I had visited sewn on the arm of my coat, you could also get small round 'button' badges from the hostel, I think that I still have some of these badges, together with a small metal triangular buttonhole badge somewhere.  I gave up my membership in 1961 when I was serving in the RAF, although I seem to remember that if you were serving in the Forces you got a reduced membership subscription.  Wonderful days.

Robin.
Per Ardua ad Astra

Offline Del

• Appreciation 4
Medway Youth Hostel Association (YHA Medway)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 15:52:09 »
Does anyone remember this club which met in a small hall just off Gillingham High Street.
I remember going to some meetings and being a member but I cannot tell you anything about it.
Must have been in the 1960's sometime in 1966 probably just before I became of the age to drive a car.
Used to have a cloth badge, triangular in shape, blue, and I think it had a picture of Rochester Castle etched on it in yellow stitching.
The letter Y was at the top of the triangle, the letter H bottom left and the letter A bottom right.
I remember being proud to wear my grey long sleeved jumper with this stitched to my right arm!
Sad, isn't it.   

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines