News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Smitherman's Grocers Luton Road.  (Read 9059 times)

Offline lutonlad

• Appreciation 10
Re: Smitherman's Grocers Luton Road.
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2016, 17:06:35 »
There was a farm in Darland Ave, called Star Farm just behind the Star pub, maybe that is where she went for here stock. It is now a retirement home. Just a thought.
If it cant be mended with a hammer, it must be an electrical fault, bash it anyway.

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2016, 18:44:04 »
My sister remembers being told that Ada Smitherman used to get her greengrocery stock from a market held near the Star pub at the bottom of Darland Road. It was the effort of getting it back to Luton Road that meant that at some point (yet to be identified) the family moved to 205 Castle Road, and she ran a much smaller "front room" shop there until her death in 1944.

Does anyone have any info on this market, or was she visiting farms in that area?
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 16:49:49 »
I can add little to my post of 12 May regarding who was actually living at 152 in the 40s and 50s.

Francis Smitherman and his family were in 152 by the 1891 census, previously they had lived at Capstone and at a cottage next to Manwarings Windmill near Street End. I have seen, but do not have possession of, a photo showing the woodyard and my grandfather Filmer aged about 17 (according to my late aunt who had the picture) that would make it about 1895.

The 1911 Census shows Francis, already a widower, living at 152 with a daughter Edith Ellen, who died, unmarried, in 1928. In 1911 Thomas & Cassandra were living at 201 Castle Road (he still a gatemaker), so it would seem that they moved back to the family home and woodyard to look after his father.

1939 Register for 154 Luton Road, shows Henry H Wilson a retired patternmaker, born 8 May 1857, and Margaret Wilson born 10 June 1871. Also Gwendoline Doris Sammon(? handwriting ?) born 26 Sept 1902, and 3 others whose details are not yet released.

Offline Chatham boy

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2016, 17:48:11 »
Dear filmer01
So which of the Smithermans lived at 152, next door to us at 154? I associate the yard opposite Elephant & Castle with the Tarry Bros (50s and 60s?) but my sister can remember an earlier period when it was a woodyard which she believes belonged to the Smithermans.

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 9
Re: Smitherman's Greengrocers Luton Road.
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 17:40:06 »
Chatham Boy - I'm afraid that you've got your Smithermans in a twist  :)

The shop in question was at 168 Luton Road, the house next to the woodyard was 152. The shopkeepers (my grandparents) were Filmer Francis Smitherman (died 1932 as the result of an accident in Cobham Woods) and Ada who died in 1944. I'm not sure when they left the shop at 168, some time in the 1920s - anyone with a Kellys out there? - and then Ada ran a small shop at 205 Castle Road while Filmer continued wood dealing/gatemaking - which he was doing when his horse and cart ran over him.

The 1939 Register shows Francis T. Smitherman, the widowed father of Filmer, still living at 152 (he died in 1940) and also Thomas and Cassandra, husband and wife born in 1875 and 1878 respectively, lived with him. They both died in 1956. There were more Smithermans at 158 in 1939, Ethel the widow of Stanley (another brother) and her son Norman.

Offline Chatham boy

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 18:28:31 »
Very interested to see these comments about the Smitherman family. I have vague memories of Mr & Mrs Smitherman who lived next door to us in Luton Road - not sure if they still had their shop then as they were both quite elderly. The yard next to their house (at the bottom of Castle Road and opposite the Elephant & Castle) was then owned by, I think, the Tarry Bros., builders. There were all sorts of builders supplies stored there, including aggregate and sand (which we used to jump into from Luton Road!.   

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 10:41:26 »
Found the other photo, sorry but it`s not good quality. I know there were a few copies so I may find a better image, but don't bank on it!

Date is 1913 ish - older child (Ivy) about 4, born 1909 - younger (Win) about 1, born 1912 so that matches. No idea who the lad is, a delivery boy is all I was told.

Yet to start unravelling the Smithermans, been rather taken by other ancestors living less than a mile from the house we moved into 18 months ago - spooky.

Offline sandi_01

• Appreciation 19
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 19:47:21 »
filmer01...Thank you so much for posting the photograph. I love it! :)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2013, 12:10:37 »
To quote my wife, the Smithermans ran the newsagents in Sydney Road/Sturla Road ďwhen I was a kidĒ, which could mean from when she was born in Sydney Road in 1928 until she left there to marry me in 1952. I knew that area from when we met in 1947 and donít remember a newsagents there, but I donít remember anything else there either, so perhaps that is not too reliable. As a guide to further research, I suggest looking at the 1930ís to mid-1940ís. My wife thinks the ladyís name was Hilda and was friendly with her Gran but, again, that is a long stretch of memory.

More certain is that my wife had a school acquaintance by the name of Connie Smitherman, who lived in Sturla Road and believed to be the grand-daughter of the shop owners. I come into the picture here in that she married an old school pal of mine by the name of Derek Sparks/Sparkes, although I donít know full details because Derek and I had lost touch by that time. However, I do know that Derek became an Inspector on Maidstone and District buses.

Sorry if itís all a bit vague, but it may be the starting point for further delving.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 10:08:28 »
I've only recently started to help sort out the family history, but there certainly were quite a few Smithermans about! "Our lot" come from the wood dealing/fence/gate making family at 152 Luton Road, whose yard is still obvious on the corner of Castle Road, opposite the old pub.

When was the shop at Sturla/Sydney run by them, and any idea of christian names?

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 20:44:26 »
Were those Smithermans any relation to the ones who ran a newsagents on the corner of Sturla Road and Sydney Road?
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 19:47:28 »
Thanks for the input, that confirms everything

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 16:52:11 »
Sorry to be a bit late with a reply, but I only recently joined...

The shop was at 168 Luton Road, on the corner of Leonard Road.

The picture shows it about 1911-2 according to my mother's note on the back - she's the little girl in the doorway.

The shop sign shows "F. Smitherman", a slightly later (1914?) version of this picture (I'll find it somewhere...) has a noticeably brighter "A" instead of the "F". This was when the wife, Ada took over the shop from her husband Filmer. She later had a shop at 205 Castle Road until her death in 1944.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 16:02:17 »
Glad to be of help, that`s what the forum is about, helping each other. :)

Offline sandi_01

• Appreciation 19
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 14:43:40 »
Thank you very much for your time and effort Lutonman. You have answered my question! :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines