News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: W & J Mackay & Co. Ltd, Gillingham. 1908.  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
Re: W & J Mackay & Co. Ltd, Gillingham. 1908.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 19:10:48 »
That`s very interesting, colin haggart! I worked for Mackays for a short while when they were in Fair Row, Chatham. At that time they were high quality book printers with a small amount of `jobbing` work undertaken. I didn`t know that they were previously in Gillingham (although they did have a Bindery somewhere near the Strand at one time) or that they ever printed postcards. I remember a few of the director`s names - Jamie (who drove an elderly Rolls Royce); Keith and Leslie, who I think may have been their father. Leslie directed the Leslie Mackay Choir, which was quite well known in the 50s. I believe the family name was Mackay-Miller as some family members appear to have used that name. One of the family, possibly Angus, also ran the Bookshop in Station Road, Rainham and also edited a Rainham Residents magazine at one time.
Mackays are now in Badger Road, Lordswood and appear to be part of a very large organisation, but I don`t think the family are now involved. I seem to remember a post by peterchall which referred to an MOT on a Rolls that was in poor shape and thinking "I bet that was Jamie Mackay`s".

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Re: W & J Mackay & Co. Ltd, Gillingham. 1908.
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 18:23:25 »
I don't know much about them, but I do know they produced a number of local postcards in the early 1900s, (though they do not seem as common as Thornton Bros, who seemed to be the biggest of the New Brompton/Gillingham postcard printers.)  Here is an example of one of MacKay's postcards:

=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
W & J Mackay & Co. Ltd, Gillingham. 1908.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 17:56:41 »
I have just recently found by accident, a copy of the Anniversary services for the Baptist Tabernacle Sunday School, dated the 12th & 13th of July, 1908.

On the back is the name of the printers;  W & J Mackay & Co. Ltd, Gillingham.

Can anyone shed anymore light about the printers, ie, where they were?

PS
The Baptist Tabernacle, is Green St. Baptist Church, in case anyone did not know that.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines