News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rainham Mark Garage in the 1950's  (Read 7732 times)

KeithJG

Re: Rainham Mark Garage in the 1950's
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 14:53:25 »
In my postcards i have just found this picture of Rainham Mark, don`t know what year, but you can make out the garage just in front of that man crossing the road.

If you compare with the other photo here you can see the PO front windows the same!

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 09:08:04 »
I remember Hidsons as I bought a second hand Ford Zodiac Executive off them in the early 70s. Salesman was a tallish ginger haired bloke worked there for years.
Great car, good bird puller which drank juice faster than I drink beer!
The front brake pads dropped out not long after I bought and to give them their due Hidsons did pay for the repair. Warranties weren't up to much in those days. :)
AlanH.

Offline Del

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 16:59:50 »
Ah! Yes, Hodges. Well done. Now I have been reminded of the name I think that the chap I 'knew' there was Peter Hodges.
Regarding the Reed Brothers hairdressers. Were they the ones down the High Street, a few doors down from the Green Lion, next to what is now Hidsons Citroen?
When I worked in Rainham High Street there was one chap in that hairdressers. The building he was in was very old and where it was is now Hidsons used car display.
Bill Hidson, who is dead now, took a chain saw to the roof support timbers as he wanted it taken down to expand the forecourt.
A colleague of mine and me went into the cellars of the hairdressers and there was a load of Bedford CA van parts which I recognised as I had worked at Chatham Motor Company (where Wickes is now) and my dad had one so knew what I was looking at.
Someone from the council came along and took photos of it as the building had both Queen and King Posts and they were dead against it being interfered with but, when the roof joists were chain sawed, the council put an unsafe notice on it and it was eventually demolished. I was there that day and the demolition company who took it down BURNED all the old timbers including the King and Queen posts, no questions asked.     
The cellars had hard core put in them then tarmacked over but the area subsided and eventually ended up with a massive puddle in it  when it rained, which made the situation worse as the water eventually seeped down and it subsided more.
When this was all going on, the Hairdresser was against moving out of the old building as he had been there like forever, Bill Hidson offered him the house to cut hair in at the very bottom of Orchard Street on the left, on the corner, as supposedly he owned ALL of the houses OPPOSITE the row of shops in the High Street where Patrick Duff Opticians are. These are the ones on the left as one comes down Orchard Street, turn left onto the High Street and you will see all the big old houses along there. 
Lot more memories as I was born along the Lower Rainham Road and went to the Church of England School at the top of Station Road.
My nan lived in Henry Street.

michael

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 07:36:32 »
I believe this garage was called Hodges and they were also coach builders. Next door was Bunyans the oil shop who had an apartment above where one of the Reed brothers lived . Reed Brothers owned the gents hairdressers in Rainham High Street.
Every one knew everyone then!
Mike

Offline Del

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 22:56:03 »
Many thanks to JeanS and for other input. This is the garage exactly as I remember it from the late 50's. Well done. 

AnnieM

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 17:43:52 »
I remember this being wasteland with an old car dumped there.  It always frightened me (I have a strange phobia about abandoned cars :) ) on my way to school in the 70's and used to insist we walked on the other side of the road until we had passed!!

AnnieM

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 15:21:00 »
Apart from different upper floor windows, the 2 shops in JeanS's photo look the same. From the petrol pumps at the roadside I would say the photo could even be pre-war.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Scrumdown

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 14:38:39 »
And the Google Maps Streetview today:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=me8+0dd&hl=en&ll=51.368031,0.585373&spn=0.000003,0.003294&sll=51.528642,-0.101599&sspn=0.647608,1.686401&hnear=ME8+0DD,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.368008,0.585002&panoid=SyjQg1-ktVMq1MJTx4lwgg&cbp=12,356.96,,0,-2.85

Must be a long time ago.  I live 500 yards away but I don't remember anything other than the petrol station (that was there before Enterprise car hire) being there.  And that has been closed as a working garage for anything up to 10 years and was a derelict site until Enterprise took it over last year.

JeanS

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 09:27:48 »
I think this is the garage you remember. The photo is owned by the Medway Archives and Local Studies Centre

Offline Del

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 21:20:27 »
Thank you for both your replies.
The garage was not behind the Belisha Beacon it was actually along the A2 and had an old wooden (I think) door.
The building itself was quite old I imagine and, once again I think, was next to where the post office was.
The old grey matter is not as sharp as it once was but I remember either a distant relation or famiy friend worked there and I used to 'pop in' sometimes to get my and my mates bike tyres pumped up, for nothing of course.
I do know the repair and MOT place behind the pub as they failed a car of mine once, never to be forgotten, of course.
The garage used to be almost opposite Edwin Road maybe slightly to the left of centre as you looked across at the row of shops.
Hope this helps.
Thanks so far...
Del     

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 15:57:06 »
I remember a car repair place behind the Belisha Beacon (later the Hop & Vine) in the mid 70s-early 80s, but I'm not sure when it became Watling Tyres.  Sadly I don't remember much more than it being there as I walked past to go to the chip shop!
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline Jason

• Appreciation 9
    • Historic Medway
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 04:09:15 »
Can you describe exactly where it was?  I used to go to Watling Tyres, behind the Hop and Vine.  Could that be the site?

Offline Del

• Appreciation 4
Rainham Mark Garage in the 1950's
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 22:28:38 »
Anyone remember the old car repair garage/workshop amongst the old shops at Rainham Mark along the A2?
Photos, who owned it, when it was demolished or who worked there please?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines