News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Bowaters, Gillingham  (Read 17879 times)

merc

Re: Bowaters, Gillingham
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 11:43:14 »

silkenrobe

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 09:26:25 »
There's a few interesting bits here.  :)

http://www.historicmedway.co.uk/gillingham/bowaters.htm

Oh those steps in the 3rd pic on the left brings back a few memories
Sneaky ciggie with my cousin at a wedding reception I think
I remember my first visit to Bowaters for a 'do' of some sort was where I saw for the first time those huge sinks where you put your foot on a bar that ran around the bottom of it to turn the water on. 
I was fascinated by it and it took ages to figure out how to get water  :)

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 17:31:38 »
One of my enduring memories of the Bowaters tower is aural rather than visual. Back in the late 70s/early 80s when there was the CB radio craze I remember tuning into the CB and hearing a driver report his location as "I'm on the doughnut by the big blue onion in the sky" - a perfect description of the roundabout next to the water tower!
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 17:31:06 »
Thanks for that patmore, would make sense in that capacity and thanks seaford pete for elaborating on the processes carried out on the Gillingham premises.
nostalgia's not what it used to be

patmore

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 15:04:54 »
With regard to the water tower, it may have been the supply for the mill sprinkler system, as these sometimes had an independent water supply powered by pumps which would have automatically started had a fire occured. Mains water not having sufficient pressure.

seafordpete

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 09:30:09 »
- I understand the fundamental reasons why Bowaters would have needed a guaranteed supply of water as a manufacturer of paper. I was just intrigued to know how the water was initially held within the tower and then how it was called upon.

As far as I know it wasn't a paper mill but a conversion plant making & printing packaging, in particular transparent film type using material made elsewhere

Offline Spekes Bottom

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 23:00:49 »
There's a few interesting bits here.  :)

http://www.historicmedway.co.uk/gillingham/bowaters.htm

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 18:38:48 »
I'm sorry to hear that donna packer but thanks for your reply  :)

colin haggart - I understand the fundamental reasons why Bowaters would have needed a guaranteed supply of water as a manufacturer of paper. I was just intrigued to know how the water was initially held within the tower and then how it was called upon. I guess there is/was a complex hydraulic pipe system within that famous local landmark and running underground.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 18:32:48 »
I would guess that as Bowaters was a paper plant it need a lot of water, hence the water tower to help provide a constant supply.

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 20:09:26 »
Regards the locally famous landmark water tower that sits on what is now the Tesco site, does anybody have any information about its history and use? I was wondering exactly when it was constructed, would be great to see it being erected as it's quite a size. Does anybody know what it is made of? I remember as a child seeing it in its original blue and white paint with the Bowaters bow and arrow logo. I assume it is there these days purely as a means for Tesco to advertise itself? Would be great if anybody could throw any light as to how water was originally stored and utilised when the mill was still there.

Offline Mike S

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 23:56:52 »
Does anyone remember these running through the Medway towns?
There was one of these Bowaters AEC lorries preserved in the Mayland/Bradwell area of Essex in the 1990's

donna packer

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 11:00:19 »
My uncle Roger helped build the big blue water tower that made Bowaters stand out.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 73
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 13:59:22 »
A `favourite` place for the lorries to lose their load was a roundabout near London - the Wellhall or Well Hall roundabout? In the 40s my Dad used to deliver reels of newsprint to the Ashford area on a Bowater (Lloyd) steam lorry, but I can`t remember him ever `losing` a load.

seafordpete

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 10:51:07 »
I don't recall them being roped, just chocked which made driving behind them rather worrying

Offline Mike S

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 09:06:42 »
I seem to remember one losing part of its load on Star Hill Rochester, this was probably round about 1956 or 1957.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines