News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Jubilee Clips  (Read 14860 times)

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
Re: Jubilee Clips
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 10:40:37 »
There was also the other clip which was not solid like the jubilee but 2 wires with the screw but think they were called Terry clips, certainly didn't compare to the Jubilee.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 08:39:56 »
The General Manager of Wallis Motors, at the bottom of Marlborough Road, Gillingham, in the late 1960’s to late 1970’s was Cyril Colville, who was related to the Lumley-Robinsons by marriage, I believe as a son-in-law.

Cyril was instrumental in organising an annual motor trade apprentices’ competition at Medway College and in drumming up local support for the prize fund, so I’d be surprised if Jubilee Clips wasn’t among the contributors.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

jaj

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 02:37:33 »
Here is a brochure that was produced in the 70's when they celebrated their 50th aniversary. Their website has a history of the company and some more images of old add's.

Thanks for posting the above brochure Chris.  One of the photographs features my mother.

jaj

Offline sparky230

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 01:12:41 »
One of my dad`s first jobs when we moved to Kent in the 70's was setting up the first of the automatic feeder presses at the Gillingham site on Rainham Rd, the Jezreels Tower site.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 22:02:37 »
The premises in the High Street was Rootes' showroom. Their workshops and parts department was through an arch immediately round the corner from Star Hill onto New Road. The offices were on the first floor, and it was one of the garages I went to when I was looking for work in the motor trade in 1944-45. When I finally got an apprenticeship at Car & Electrical on Chatham-Maidstone Road it was where we went to get spares for Rootes Group cars; having got the spares it was a question of then driving out onto New Road right on the corner. The building and archway is still there, but I am referrinig to the years 1945- 1950's and perhaps 1960's. I don't know what the place was used for after Rootes moved out.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 21:24:53 »
Peterchall Rootes the garage was near where I lived on the corner of Furrels Road and Rochester High Street going towards Chatham, I'm sure my auntie worked making the clips at the place at the top of Star Hill next to the Good Companions Club place which now is some kind of college, I think just opposite Jackson Field.
***I am still the child within***

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 18:04:53 »
It was Rootes Garage.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 16:57:41 »
I am sure the building as you came up Star Hill Rochester and turned onto the New road used to make these clips to at one point.
***I am still the child within***

Offline Chris

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 16:34:25 »
Hi JohnWalker
Always insist on Jubilee!
A few years ago all the various Jubilee Clips factories moved into one larger factory in Owens Way near the river in Gillingham.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 15:10:55 »
Welcome to the forum Chris.

Well - I've been using Jubilee Clips for most of my life and I never realised they were made in Gillingham.

Although there are other makes of similar clips we still call them all Jubilee Clips.

JW

Offline Chris

• Appreciation 4
Jubilee Clips
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 13:20:58 »
Jubilee has been manufacturing Hose Clips in Gillingham for over 90 years and they are still going strong. Here is a brochure that was produced in the 70's when they celebrated their 50th aniversary. Their website has a history of the company and some more images of old add's.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines