News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gun battery / Deep Shelter B2011 Dover Hill Folkestone  (Read 26904 times)

Offline Paolo

• Appreciation 15
Re: Gun battery / Deep Shelter B2011 Dover Hill Folkestone
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 08:43:57 »
CF-100 Mk.5 18725
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*3/26/1958: Transferred to the Belgian AF as “AX-41”.
*350 Squadron (1st Wing), at Beauvechain AB.
*349 Squadron (1st Wing), at Beauvechain AB.
*3/13/1963: Crashed into a cliff near Folkestone/Dover, England. Both crewmen were killed

Offline Paolo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 08:41:38 »
Sorry TowerWill - wrong aircraft.  I was sure there were two but the fact that there were two crew may have confused.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 18:50:49 »
Hello Paolo, I've looked at several websites so far for English Electric Canberra crashes at Folkestone but not found any mention yet. That was really bad luck if there were two more aircraft crashes there. I'll keep an eye out for the two you mention. My thinking was that some photos of the crash site might exist showing a tunnel entrance. On Bing Maps a rectangular area can be seen above the sharp bend on the hill road out of Folkestone to Dover. What looks like some remains of a chalk quarry face can just be seen above the infill.

Offline Paolo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 17:20:08 »
TowerWill - while you're looking see if there's any info on two Super Sabres of the Belgian Air Force crashed in fog at the same spot in the early 60s.  The quarry, if I've got the right one, was used as a rubbish dump at the time.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 08:07:08 »
Many thanks chasg! So an aircraft did crash in the quarry. I'll have a look for info on that one.

chasg

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 03:18:32 »
I recall a Canberra crashed there in the late 50s. And I vaguely remember reading somewhere about something having been dug underground but, I think, a bit to the east.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 13:05:25 »
My mate told me a light training aircraft (out of Hawkinge Aerodrome) crashed into this quarry sometime after WW2. He was a Folkestone special P.C. with a good knowledge of the town but I haven't found any info about a crash happening there. Anyone know more about the quarry's history?

sparky230

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 21:43:04 »
In my research for Capel there is mention of an incomplete Brigade Hq. in the quarry, but I don`t have that bit of the tunneling companies war diary, but there is some stuff about this area in the diary at Kew. I only copied the bits revelant to Capel.

col

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 14:11:53 »
It's mentioned in the tunneling company's war diaries as a Brigade HQ or something I think.

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 28
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 22:03:25 »
There is the Deep Shelter at Capel Battery which was part of the battery.  I am only asking, what was the Deep Shelter in the quarry for?  What establishment was based in the quarry?  I have seen plans of lots of tunnels in the south east Kent but never seen or heard of one at this location, I am interested to know what was there.

silverainbow34

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 19:39:58 »
I'm trying to find out more about it, plans, history etc be interesting to know where the other entrance may have been ?

col

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 18:10:39 »
Yes, there is a deep shelter the on the bend by the old chalk pit, it's filled in though.

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 28
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 16:59:29 »
As you go up Dover Hill, Folkestone, towards Dover there is a pillbox on the left, part way up. The pillbox used to be in the entrance to a quarry which has since been used as a rubbish tip and filled up. The pillbox is very overgrown and not easy to spot. There is another pillbox a bit further up the hill on the other side of the road with turnbull mountings. There are quite a few pillboxes in this area along Crete Road and some part way down the hill, part of the coastal crust. There may well have been a fougasse on Dover Hill and there are the remains to be seen of one on the other road going towards Hawinge. There was a heavy anti-aircraft battery along Crete Road at Hope Farm.  Only a section of concrete road now remains.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 07:13:05 »
I am sorry I can't give you any information about it.  I have checked the Times and Pastscape and had a quick google for you.  I assume that there isn't much known as so little remains and what does remain is not easily found.  I hope some more information does come to light!

silverainbow34

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 22:02:08 »
Yes Kyn, thats it  :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines