News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Margate Sun Deck  (Read 8142 times)

Offline rdfb2

• Appreciation 1
Re: Margate Sun Deck
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 20:30:52 »

old postcard 1950s.
SOME DAYS YOUR THE DOG ,SOME YOUR THE LAMP POST

Offline rdfb2

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 18:25:50 »

Offline rdfb2

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 18:23:42 »
just got back from a break at margate stayed at the premier inn by margate station our room overlooked where the sun deck stood, you forget how big the sun deck was, still love that end of margate always have, even as a kid  in the late 60s it was agreat place.

Offline Jason

• Appreciation 9
    • Historic Medway
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 21:17:00 »
Was it the one just down the road from the station, opposite the shelter where the seating is made up from benches divided into separate chairs?

I remember playing on the 1/2p machines there - the only place that had them, and the noughts and crosses one-arm-bandit machines.  That was the first place I played Space Invaders!  :o  Going between Margate and Gillingham in the slam-door trains, some still with the wooden panelling and incandescent bulbs, past the old steam engine sheds at Faversham...

I also remember going on the big wheel in Dreamland and seeing the abandoned railway sidings (now part of an industrial estate, I think), shown at the end of this:

http://www.kentrail.co.uk/Margate.htm

I worked in Margate from 1992-94, and the first thing I missed walking out of the station on my first day was the sun deck.  That and the lack of the pier ruins outside the harbour - I remember John Craven's Newsround showing them trying to blow the remains up!

The pool by the sun deck is now a boating pool, and the swimming pool at the other end of the beach could do with dredging out!   :(

Driving down there always takes us past the Royal Sea Bathing Hospital.  Now there's a place I'd have liked to have been round!

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 23:19:57 »
If it was where I think it was, i'm sure it cought fire in the 1980s, I remember playing on it with pennies and feeling that I had won some money when loads of pennies came out of the slot.

You felt as if you had spent a lot of money, even though  you  only spent
a couple of pounds.

I seam to remember seeing a fire there in the mid 1980s.

Offline WildWeasel

• Appreciation 2
  • How do Road Gritters get to work ?
Margate Sun Deck
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 00:20:50 »
Anyone remember the Sundeck at Margate.... We used to go on holiday as a family there in the late 1960's early 1970's..It seemed like a world away in those days... 1 Hour train ride from Gillingham station ( AND  you had to make sure you got on the right part of the train as it split at Faversham and half of it went to Dover on the other line... Not a good mistake to make....
I found it mad that when I worked at Pfizer in Sandwich 10 years ago my daily commute from Rainham was further than we travelled for a family holiday !

The Sun Deck was at the Station end of the beach .Like a Pier but close to the shore
Had a tea room and amusements... Hours of fun with a bag of pennies... I still remember the "old" money and being made up by finding a Half crown in the sand one day ( equivalent of 12.5 p if I am correct ) which bought me hours of fun...Old amusements had high voltages
The Pinball machines would spark as the balls hit the targets....Lovely smell of Ozone... Probably very toxic....

It was a great refuge from the beach when it ( invariably ) bleeped it down ...Mum and Nan ( She always seemed to be there wether invited or not  ) used to go to the tea room and bring down a great big tray ...Still remember Aluminium teapots ( Blue or pink anodized ) and china cups with handles that you couldnt actually get your finger through... Why ?
Tea never tasted better than this stuff...

Behind it on the seaward side was a tidal swimming pool.. IE a concrete construction that would fill up at high tide and stay ( relativley full ) as the tide receded...
The Thames Estuary in the late 60's was filthy and I remember seeing some very unsavoury  items in there !

Happy days !!!

There were Donkey rides on the beach and a Clock tower ( Still there ) ....As a kid If you got lost they would round you up and make an announcement over some kind of Tannoy system so your parents could collect you from there ...If they werent in the pub and "lost" you on purpose
Trampolines.... Seafood stalls and a train on the pier...Boat trips to Calais... ( France seemed like the other side of the world in those days)

Speedboat rides ....Too scared to do that !
A wonderfull place and I havent even mentioned Dreamland yet
More later if anyone is interested....

WW
If it's too hard I can't do it !

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines