News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sun Pier, Chatham  (Read 29567 times)

Offline Bobdonk

• Appreciation 22
    • Bus Walks
Re: Sun Pier, Chatham
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 15:40:13 »
God the number of times I've wished the Chatham Gillingham Rochester Rag archive was online!

The good news is that you can find it here: http://www.gparrett.btinternet.co.uk/chatnews/

The bad news it is only up to 1966

bob

NCR

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 14:59:50 »

The photo I posted was taken in October, 1972. I know because I took it! I have a memory that the fire took place very soon after this, but I could be mistaken.

Ok :) partly blew my theory out the water. Nice photo.

I guess the Council records don't disprove our conjecture even if the Pavilion is not mentioned by name. i do have pretty vivid memories  of Chatham pre Pentagon etc.. so I guess my recalling late '72 is not so impossible. More digging required..

God the number of times I've wished the Chatham Gillingham Rochester Rag archive was online!... i'm an old poster here but it appears my old account was lost in a rejig (wasn't kicked off the site!).

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 14:44:13 »

The photo I posted was taken in October, 1972. I know because I took it! I have a memory that the fire took place very soon after this, but I could be mistaken.

NCR

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 13:06:11 »
Like other posters I thought the fire was a lot later. A search of CityArk reveals this:

"Sun Pier Chatham. Includes proposed Boat Showroom & Marina and references to a fire in 1972.  File Ref. W13/1 (1 file) 1971-1974"

Perhaps the "1972" photo posted heralds from a library shot used in a Chatham News story of the time?.

If I hadn't checked City Ark I'd have placed the fire later. Somewhere between 1978 and 1982 approx. I can't believe my recollections of 1972 are that good. Perhaps the fire was covered in a ten years on news feature in 1982?. That would fit with where I was at the time.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 18:11:27 »
It has been stated that the fire that destroyed the pavilion was in the 1960's, but this photo was taken in 1972. So what was the actual date of the fire?

merc

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 13:48:19 »

Shortly after 3:00pm, on 26th July, 1885, a steamboat which cruises between Strood and Southend, called at Sun Pier on her way down the River Medway. A large number of excursionists were waiting for her on the pier. As soon as the vessel was moored alongside, a stream of passengers passed through the barrier to descend to the lower tier of the pier. When about seventy or eighty passengers were on the iron structure that slopes to the lower part, without warning it collapsed, sending the distressed people into the river. A large number of passengers were women and children and much excitement was caused. Boatmen thread their boats through the entanglement of broken iron and woodwork to rescue them. A large number of those rescued had sustained injuries from falling onto the wood and iron. Several women were taken to the nearby Sun Hotel in a half drowned and unconscious condition. If it had not been for the extroadinary effort of Mr Whitfield, assisted by two boatmen named Adams and Moore, the loss of life would have been terrible. About half a dozen or so serious cases were treated at St. Bart's, Rochester. Only one death was reported, an infant who was in her mother's arms at the time of the accident, she was tragically killed by a blow to the head. A search was made of the river and mud but no other bodies were found.

Info from various online newspapers and the picture is from The Illustrated Police News.

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 21:54:04 »
On the corner of Medway Street, on the opposite side of Penguin suit hire shop was the Sun Hotel. It may have got it's name from that..
Hope that helps HerbCollector...

But I am willing to be proved wrong.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 21:06:17 »
How did Sun Pier get its name?
I ask because the first ship built at Chatham was the Sun, built by Matthew Baker at his private ship yard in 1588.
Was the ship built where Sun Pier later stood?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 23:14:27 »

I'm sure that the fire that destroyed the pavillion on Sun Pier was in the 70's. Can anyone confirm the exact date?

merc

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 12:05:24 »
From The Times

December 11, 1869

An improvement long needed at Chatham for the accomodation of the Royal Navy, as for all using the river Medway, was yesterday bought to a succesful termination by the handing over of a newly and very substantial landing-place at the Sun Pier, by Mr. Lewis Whitehead, a townsman, who has collected subscriptions and carried out the work to the Pier Commissioners - The Local Board of Health. Hitherto there has been no proper means of landing at the Sun Pier at night, and some seafaring men have perished, it is feared, by accidents in attempting to land. Government officials have a right to use the pier ; but Admiralty Boards have declined to pay the cost of providing a landing-place fo use at night. However, for the purposes of this new landing, a very excellent floating-stage has been lent from Chatham Dockyard. The landing-place having been made, the Pier Commissioners, who have not funds, to provide it, will henceforth maintain it.

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 08:52:40 »
its such a shame they are demolishing sun pier too, it seems to me they are demolishing all our history, the council get enough money why can't they restore it to its former glory with the building that was at the end... im sure it would be very popular. put a cafe there or something im sure many people would frequent it

merc

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 17:59:40 »
Thanks Karlos, I feared it might be something like that.

Such a shame.

I'm sure i canoed to Sun Pier once, from the dockyard.

Offline karlostg

• Appreciation 23
    • Bluewasp Media
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 16:12:33 »
I dont think the work on Sun Pier is good news,

Quoted from Alan Watkins, Medway Messenger
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway_messenger/news/2009/tales_from_gun_wharf.aspx

"The other demolition is at Sun Pier where mariners have now been warned to stay away.
A giant crane has been brought in to remove the pontoons. They provided a floating landing point for passengers. It failed 18 months ago.
Now the council is ripping them out, with no hope of restoring the pier to a working mooring in the foreseeable future.r />It will be one of the bills that a Chatham waterfront developer will face in the next few years.
Gillingham Pier is becoming a no go area.
Strood Pier has closed.
Rochester Pier is accessible to few working boats.
Ship Pier at Chatham is now the last remaining mooring for working boats.
Medway City Estate's quays are privately used.
Upnor's two MoD piers are occasionally made available to visiting craft - but not to working boats.
A thriving river?
Someone said the river is the beating heart of Medway. At the moment it's suffering from arterial blockages.

kevin9522

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 20:49:38 »
I remember sitting on Sun Pier eating blue raspberry laces bought from Woolworths with my pocket money,

I had some wonderful times down there, Shame to see it in such a sad state.

merc

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 18:57:47 »
They're finally doing some work on the lower section of the pier. They took away the pontoon at the end while i was down there earlier today.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines