News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sun Pier, Chatham  (Read 29587 times)

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
Re: Sun Pier, Chatham
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2017, 18:32:33 »
smiffy / conan, thanks.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2017, 20:33:19 »
mikeb, I believe the arches were actually some kind of storeroom running the length of Dark Lane and would indeed mark the boundary of Gun Wharf.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2017, 18:01:04 »
Thank you Bryn Clinch and Smiffy

mikeb the OS map shows the piers and names them.Taken from the 1892-1905 edition.

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2017, 14:43:49 »
Looking again at the photo of old Sun Pier posted by Smiffy, two things fascinate me.
1) The number of piers (some looking very rickety!) there were, do we have a definitive listing of how many piers and their names?
2)The arched wall in the foreground. Appreciating that the camera can exaggerate distances etc, but would this be the end wall of the Gun Wharf?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2017, 13:17:24 »
conan, I think replies #21, #22 and #23 in this thread touch on the subject.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2017, 09:48:26 »
Women`s Land Army?

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2017, 23:34:04 »
What was the Kent Land Corps please?
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2017, 20:01:09 »
Thanks go to Mike Nancollas who sent me this newspaper cutting and text, and who was an eyewitness to the fire that nearly destroyed the Sun Pier. We now have a time and date that pins down this event precisely.

"It was the 19th December 1972 I had just gone to lunch it was a very foggy day difficult to see Medway Street from my office on the pier. I locked up and went off to eat.
After an hour i went back to find complete devastation. What I was told afterwards, though I can't say if it were true or not, was that the guy who ran Grey Launches used to have a bunk in his part of the pier together with an electric fire. Some days he used to bring a girlfriend back and during the lunch time the bedclothes had slipped onto the fire which started the blaze and his little place was full of fuel for his boat and paint etc, all flammable stuff. Also I understand that a yacht club had part of the the old building on the river side  of the building. I never heard any more about the fire.

The part of the pier that I was in was a small office at the land side facing Medway Street, behind was the old custom house with the lockers that Officers used to use in the days when Customs were active on the pier. I believe they moved the office into the high street nearby to the junction of Medway street.

The old Kent Land Corps office was completely burned out but we did managed to salvage the records, and re located in St Margarets Street Rochester just up from the Cathedral."

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2017, 12:59:57 »
Our family used to visit Upnor, on the small launch from the Sun Pier, I trailed my new small yacht on a piece of string behind the boat until I lost it, only had the string to remind me of it.
Upnor in those days, around 1935, had a small fair, I remember the Helter Skelter, sliding down on a mat, and those `boat swings`. Loads of fun. They used to run out a ramp on wheel, depending on the tide, to get people ashore. I believe they had stalls, can`t remember what they were, maybe, slide down a penny.
MoK

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2017, 15:09:41 »
The old Sun Pier, prior to 1885.

Offline medwayboy10

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2016, 21:52:37 »
Does anybody know why the half glassed building on the Sun pier was demolished? I remember using the pier for crabbing, trips to Upnor on the little ferry and a trip on the Medway Queen to see the Christmas lights at Southend-on-sea with my mother who worked for the Elliot Automation company. I always thought that the pier looked nice but now it looks a bit bare.

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2015, 19:18:50 »
Many thanks for the appreciation of the image. This next one clearly shows the use of the pier by the military, which I think was for civilian support following the floods of the early 50's? You may know more?

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2015, 08:27:07 »
Yes a great picture. I've looked closely with a magnifying glass just in case my family were there as we used the Medway Queen to Sheerness a couple of times.
Just look at how many decently dressed people there are there....bow ties, jackets, ties and shirts, cardigans and blouses. Now it would all be T shirts with adverts, shorts and tatts on every patch of bare skin.  :) And they'd probably be fighting to see who could get off first and into the nearest pub!
Sorry Kyn, I couldn't resist it. :-))
AlanH.

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2015, 13:39:36 »
Thanks CAT for great picture of disembarkation at Sun Pier from a paddle steamer in the 50's. My recollection of the 30's very similar but all would have been wearing hats or caps. Signals99, my sister was in the Land Army at a farm in Upnor but never used the ferry. A M&D No.19 went from Gill. cemetery (near where we lived) to the terminus at Upnor.

Online JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2015, 16:44:02 »
Thanks CAT - that's exactly how I remember the trip - thanks :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines