News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gillingham Portland Cement Works  (Read 4220 times)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
Re: Gillingham Portland Cement Works
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 08:44:20 »
Hi Smiler,

The Gillingham Cement Works was located on the Gillingham riverside, on the site currently occupied on one side by the Steelfields plant including what is now the waste ground behind  the plant and on the other by the new housing adjacent to the Strand. It was up and running between the mid 1850s and it closed for the last time in 1935. The site had been formerly occupied by the Gillingham shipyard, see here: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=16647.0
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 21:39:51 »
Can you say where this was please and when it was up and running

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 22:34:20 »
When we moved to Gillingham many years ago, we walked past the remains of the site and the chimney which was a concrete semi circle which I thought was where a gun was; shortly afterwards I was told that the area was a cement works.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 22:06:02 »
Here's a picture of Gillingham Cement Works, taken in 1935. To get an idea of the scale of the place, the lane running behind the tall chimney is Waterside Lane.

"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

mark crittenden

Gillingham Portland Cement Works
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 16:52:18 »
Hi,
I am currently researching the Gillingham Portland Cement Works for a college presentation. I have already carried out a fair bit of research at Medway Archives, Guildhall Museum, libraries etc... What I am also interested in if anyone has traced anyone back in their family or such like for the late 1800s and worked at this factory?
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Mark.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines