Kent History Forum

News: Maj-Gen Sir Thomson Capper K.C.M.G., C.B.,  D.S.O. - Died of wounds 27.09.15.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Herne Bay Pier Head 2013  (Read 2426 times)

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
Re: Herne Bay Pier Head 2013
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2013, 13:16:34 »

Built by Thomas Telford, Herne Bays first pier opened in June 1832. It was 1 mile long.

Offline Admiral D Ascoyne

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 13:35:27 »
MikeB    -

A quick Google found   -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22420011@N05/2369612478/

The Alec Guinness film ‘All at Sea’ in which he played a piermaster featured a miniature steam line prominently, but I know not which pier was involved.

Margate & Ramsgate harbour arms both had miniature steam lines for short periods [traces can still be seen at Margate] & I think that Margate Pier had a non-steam line for a while before the pier collapsed.

Its a lovely, cosy film just like Kind Hearts and Coronets (which is much better). All at Sea was the US name...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnacle_Bill_(1957_film)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 13:30:46 »
The 1960s film French Dressing was made almost entirely on location in Herne Bay. It features the pier and several other landmarks.

Herne Bay cinema did a special showing as part of the HB festival way back in the 90's, I've seen it and it's one of those cheap 6d flicks which I'd hazard a guess teenagers would've gone to see to get out of the rain ;-)

Roy Kinnear was in it 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Dressing_(film)

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 11:36:24 »
The 1960s film French Dressing was made almost entirely on location in Herne Bay. It features the pier and several other landmarks.
Derek Brice

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 11:25:17 »
MikeB    -

A quick Google found   -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22420011@N05/2369612478/

The Alec Guinness film ‘All at Sea’ in which he played a piermaster featured a miniature steam line prominently, but I know not which pier was involved.

Margate & Ramsgate harbour arms both had miniature steam lines for short periods [traces can still be seen at Margate] & I think that Margate Pier had a non-steam line for a while before the pier collapsed.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 20
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 10:25:52 »
Thanks helcion, man of kent and of course the admiral.

I never knew the pier, only the "cow shed", now thankfully (aesthetically) gone. The loss of facilities that it provided is of course another  matter.   (off topic so not pursued here)

The picture of the tram reminded me of the original cars on Southend Pier, but a ride out to sea on a live steam train, now that would have been something else!! Any one have any photo's of that?

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 09:25:07 »
The upper level really stinks as there a good inch of bird droppings on the concrete section that has the consistency of glue, and there`s 3 ft (not an exaggeration) of bird droppings inside the pavilion.

Sounds like a prime business opportunity for starting a Kentish Guano Industry  . . . . . .

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 09:08:33 »
We returned to the pier head at high tide and this time we landed... so you don't have to ;-)

Thank you Stewie, it's a pleasure to share the photos on KHF site, the pier head is a landmark everyone in Herne Bay knows well but probably only 10% of the population has been out there (since the '78 storm).

Like the vast majority of the town, I spent many a time daydreaming about what it looks like up close, so it was a big personal achievement to finally reach the pier head, my friend and I both high 5'ed each other as soon as we landed!

The upper level really stinks as there a good inch of bird droppings on the concrete section that has the consistency of glue, and there`s 3 ft (not an exaggeration) of bird droppings inside the pavilion.

We were only on the upper level for about 20mins, we would've been longer but the stench was getting unbearable!

I wouldn't go there in summer! :)

Admiral

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 07:31:03 »
The full history of the railway/tramway can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herne_Bay_Pier  but to summarise, it was an electric tram up until the war when the army blew some sections  out of the pier and bridged the gaps with bailey bridges, which the tram could not pass over. Then from about 1950 there was a narrow gage steam railway for a few years.
Derek Brice

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 07:26:51 »
MikeB    -

The original pier, built in the 1830s & which lasted for about 40 years, had a handworked line, occasionally supplemented by sail power when winds were favourable.

The replacement pier, opened in 1898, had a 3'6" electric tramway which operated on a side-conduit system with a generator at the shore end of the pier.
This lasted until 1925 when it was replaced by the petrol-electric tram set seen in the Admiral's photo.

The tramway closed in 1939 when the pier was severed in two places on the outbreak of WW2.

I can remember the disused track set in the decking when I used to fish from the pier in the 1950s.

There was a fatality during the electric era when a derailed tram fell into the sea & a passenger was drowned.

Cheers

Helcion

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 20
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 23:39:50 »
I didn't know Herne Bay pier had a tramway on it before. Do we know how it was powered?

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 156
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 19:10:26 »
" Can you hear the paddles chunking from Margate to Old Herne Bay................................"

Sorry Mr Kipling but I could not resist.............

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 19:03:09 »
Lovely pictures Admiral D Ascoyne, looks like the deck of some recently salvaged ocean liner! Must be quite eerie walking out there where once there was so much life.

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 14:27:48 »
We returned to the pier head at high tide and this time we landed... so you don't have to ;-)

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 14:25:15 »

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.8 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines