Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Herne Bay Pier Head 2013  (Read 9993 times)

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 7
Re: Herne Bay Pier Head 2013
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2016, 15:52:20 »
Now that is a rare photo! Not sure whether `Medway Queen` worked the season of `63 - she was withdrawn that year - but do recall the erstwhile Weymouth paddler `Duke of Devonshire` making that call at Herne Bay. As `Consul` she only spent a very few weeks in the Thames estuary that year and was out of service thereafter before eventual scrap.

Although out of bounds to the public during the war - as was the beach, remember the barbed wire barricades - the navy occupied and made limited use of the pier throughout. One of my earliest memories is being taken along the pier, past the pavilion, by my elder brother and other boys and peering into the corrugated shed where the yellow tram was still in situ. As this was removed for scrap in 1948 (which I think was also when the whole pier was opened again), I could have only been about five or six at most.

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 38
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2016, 15:13:26 »
The Paddle Steamer Consul arriving at Herne Bay pier head on Friday 20th September 1963.
Regards,
Ted Ingham

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2016, 13:48:38 »
Wow, Just think, I may have been at school with some of those- if local - in 1940! At that time, there was no way onto the pier as it was all boarded up, so couldn't see the gaps further out. Afraid an awful lot of Town councils/planners, etc. of the 50z & 60s have a lot to answer for!

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2016, 10:21:51 »
That photo is of the landward side of the pavilion and is almost certainly part of the repairs following damage done in the 1953 floods. To clarify a few points, the two holes blown in the pier in 1940 had to be bridged even during the war (Bailey bridges) and post-war more permanent (but narrow) wooden structures for public use were put in place. It is said that an over-zealous military engineer interpreted an order `to prepare` the pier for demolition in case of invasion as `action this day`. Post-war compensation was squandered on the old pier pavilion which later burnt down and was replaced by the abominable `cowshed`, one of many poor decisions (the tower block opposite the pier entrance was another) by a Council who did not really want to see the town develop as a resort or appreciate its historical attractions. That, oddly, only came when local control passed to Canterbury.
Failure to conduct proper repairs and maintenance of the pier structure on the seaward end led to it eventually becoming unsafe and uninsurable but it remained open to the public until at least 1968. Things worsened in the 1970s and partial collapse in one storm was followed by another that finished the job and led to demolition clearance, at some cost. There were many who would have dearly liked to have got their hands on the past worthies of the town who had so poorly served us.
The miniature railway that appeared in the 1950s, between the two `temporary` bridges was not all that long and not really an `end to end` replacement of the former tram. By 1960 it had been moved to the pier at Margate (have a photo somewhere and, if found, will post here). It was a blue Bassett-Lowke model of a Gresley `Pacific` and (I heard a while back) still around somewhere.

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2016, 19:13:16 »
Sorry, forgot to attach.

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2016, 19:12:33 »
A typical seaside view of the time (early 1950s) showing repairs to the pier to reattach the two portions with onlookers. Would this conflict with Maid of Kents earlier suggestion that following the storm of 1953 that the pier was abandoned?

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2016, 10:11:05 »

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 09:46:20 »
Sorry Maid, Hampton is in fact a suburb of Herne Bay, right at the Western edge. A bit further on you come to Tankerton, a suburb of Whitstable, on its Eastern edge. Yes, I certainly do remember the sea freezing in the Winter '39/'40 for we spent a lot of time on the beach & promenade (we shared the local school so only went in half days). It had only been a sunny holiday area to us in the past so sea ice was amazing.

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 08:21:39 »
Try http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=18867.0, eg. posts 1 (with links) and 29.

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2016, 21:15:40 »
Nemo mentions Mayfair Court - can you enlighten me about that - refer me to the appropriate forum link, because at the moment that doesn't ring a bell either

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2016, 21:12:22 »
Believe it or not the name Hampton doesn't mean anything to me. Is it a name that has been give to an area say within last 40 years. In 1940 I was living on the sea front Tankerton between the Priest & Sow Corner and the Café Royal Hotel (corner of Pier Ave) (remember the sea freezing in 1940). After nearly 3 years in Lower Rainham was back at Tankerton for 5 more years (remember sea freezing and winter of 1947) and thereafter often there till my grandmother died in 1985 but I Don't Remember Hampton! If you could be a bit more specific I might be able to dredge something up from my memory!

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2016, 20:25:36 »
Um; we're not talking Mayfair Court again are we?

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 19:05:38 »
Maid of Kent. You sound a bit younger than me but still remember H.B. pier with the gaps during the war. I was evacuated to H.B. Sept. '39 - July '40 from Gillingham. I remember that at Hampton (next to Tankerton) there was a fine " modern" cubist white house high up that was painted in green/brown camouflage early in 1940; some one said it belonged to a Maharaja. Do you remember it? 

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 20:54:20 »
Sad to see Herne Bay Pier in that state. It, of course could been seen from the slopes of Tankerton where I lived and I remember it having two great gaps in it through out the war to stop the enemy landing. They were soon repaired and by 1946 (?) was opened for the summer when I visited it with an 'aunt' - watching folks roller skating. In 1947 I went with the family on the Eagle (?) to Southend for the day - little did I think then that I would be living that side of the Estuary 25  years later!

I know that Herne Bay Pier was mainly swept away in a big storm - was that 1953? - it was, of course it's death knell and was never repaired

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 13:21:48 »
Thought I would transfer this photo over from the Guess the Place thread as the seating is identifiable in both the then and now photos.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines