News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Herne Bay Pier Head 2013  (Read 15227 times)

Offline Admiral D Ascoyne

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
Re: Herne Bay Pier Head 2013
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 14:27:48 »
We returned to the pier head at high tide and this time we landed... so you don't have to ;-)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 14:25:15 »
We returned to the pier head at high tide and this time we landed... so you don't have to ;-)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 18:31:22 »
Thanks Ted. Often as not I get it wrong  :). I can see the difference between the two steamers now.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 38
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 17:58:47 »
Do we have a date on the picture that has the Medway Queen in it? Seeing the number of people at the Pier Head and the paucity on the neck I would hazard a guess the this was her last Voyage. As for the Tram, nice picture and a long time since I have seen those initials on anything, Herne Bay Urban District Council for those interested.

S4.

The date of the picture of the Paddle Steamer alongside is in the early 1930's.
The Paddle Steamer is the Isle of Arran built in 1892 by TB Seath on the Clyde for Williamson Buchanan Steamers Ltd.
In 1933 the Isle of Arran was sold to the General Steam Navigation Co, for use on the River Thames. Here, she sailed on river and dock cruises for the Port of London Authority, excursions to Herne Bay and afternoon cruises round the Nore Lightship. She was sold for breaking up at T W Wards yard at Grays at the end of the 1936 season.
Attached a picture of the Medway Queen arriving at Herne Bay on her final year 1963.

Regards,
Ted

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 17:03:57 »
Do we have a date on the picture that has the Medway Queen in it? Seeing the number of people at the Pier Head and the paucity on the neck I would hazard a guess that this was her last Voyage. As for the Tram, nice picture and a long time since I have seen those initials on anything, Herne Bay Urban District Council for those interested.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 15:47:34 »
What it used to look like...

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 09:05:55 »
We also had a look under the land side section the pier, not quite as interesting though...

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
Herne Bay Pier Head 2013
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 08:58:34 »
Hello,
I made a reconnaissance mission to the pier head at sunny Herne Bay yesterday, hope to return on a higher tide to gain access to the platforms and take a few more photos...

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines